Emmy Primetimers Nip at Palin, 'Prune'
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 22nd 2008 11:30AM
Emmy Primetimers Nip at Palin, 'Prune'
(Sept. 22) - Hollywood liberals were in full soapbox mode at the Emmys on Sunday night, jibbing and jabbing at VP hopeful Sarah Palin, as well as that guy she opens up for at all those rallies. While sometimes it worked (Colbert's prunes), other times it was just painful to watch (Howie Mandel).
Here's just a sampling of the sometimes-funny, always overly earnest comments on the election, democracy and our political scene that you elected to sit through at this year's Emmy awards ...
Tom Hanks, who produced "John Adams" noted how "the election between Jefferson and Adams was filled with innuendo, lies, a bitter partisan press and disinformation ... how great we've come so far since then."
Stephen Colbert, eating from a bag of dried plums, told co-presenter Jon Stewart, "right now, America needs a prune. It may not be a young, sexy plum. Granted, it is shriveled and at times hard to swallow. But this dried-up old fruit has the experience we need."
Replied Stewart, "You know after eight years of prunes, you would think ?"
"Never enough," Colbert responded. "What could possibly go wrong?"Skip over this content
Laura Linney, who won for best actress in a miniseries for "John Adams," said the victory helped her reflect on "the community organizers who helped form our country." She was referring to Palin's dig at Obama's experience as a community organizer in Chicago. Later in the media tent: "Our founding fathers were community organizers," she said. "I just feel it's been disparaged a bit. I don't feel anyone should be disrespected, no matter what party they're in. No matter who they are."
Kirk Ellis, whose writing for "John Adams" won him his Emmy, thanked the show's producers for "this amazing opportunity to talk about a period in our history when articulate men articulated complex thoughts in complete sentences."
He was then cut off by a skittish Emmy director.Skip over this content
Tommy Smothers said "It's hard for me to stay silent when I keep hearing thatpeace is attainable through war," Smothers said. "And there's nothing more scary than watching ignorance in action."
Jay Roach, who directed "Recount," seemed to think that the November election might have the makings of another miniseries."It's going to get close again this election," he said. "Keep your local officials honest and please, vote, vote, vote, vote."
Howie Mandel, fully aware he was bombing as host, compared the show to being "on Sarah Palin's bridge to nowhere. That's where we are right now," adding "This is not a joke. I'm serious. The government can't even bail us out of this."
2008 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lisa Vanderpump on Vanderpump Rules New Season "I'm Not Proud of Their Behavior"
- Jessa Duggar, Ben Seewald Run Errands Together Day Before Their Wedding -- See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian Wears Skeleton Costume for "First" Look of Halloween Night -- See the Pic!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Wait, So Why Was Amanda Bynes Released From a Psychiatric Hold Right After It Was Extended? Here's How She Got Out Early & What's Next
- Robin Thicke Being Exploited by Marvin Gaye Family's Lawsuit? "We Didn't Inject His Issues Into the Case," Attorney Says
- Giuliana Rancic Gets Terrified and Screams Obscenities During Scary E! News Prank—Watch the Hilarious Clip!