Emmy Primetimers Nip at Palin, 'Prune'
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 22nd 2008 11:30AM
Emmy Primetimers Nip at Palin, 'Prune'
(Sept. 22) - Hollywood liberals were in full soapbox mode at the Emmys on Sunday night, jibbing and jabbing at VP hopeful Sarah Palin, as well as that guy she opens up for at all those rallies. While sometimes it worked (Colbert's prunes), other times it was just painful to watch (Howie Mandel).
Here's just a sampling of the sometimes-funny, always overly earnest comments on the election, democracy and our political scene that you elected to sit through at this year's Emmy awards ...
Tom Hanks, who produced "John Adams" noted how "the election between Jefferson and Adams was filled with innuendo, lies, a bitter partisan press and disinformation ... how great we've come so far since then."
Stephen Colbert, eating from a bag of dried plums, told co-presenter Jon Stewart, "right now, America needs a prune. It may not be a young, sexy plum. Granted, it is shriveled and at times hard to swallow. But this dried-up old fruit has the experience we need."
Replied Stewart, "You know after eight years of prunes, you would think ?"
"Never enough," Colbert responded. "What could possibly go wrong?"Skip over this content
Laura Linney, who won for best actress in a miniseries for "John Adams," said the victory helped her reflect on "the community organizers who helped form our country." She was referring to Palin's dig at Obama's experience as a community organizer in Chicago. Later in the media tent: "Our founding fathers were community organizers," she said. "I just feel it's been disparaged a bit. I don't feel anyone should be disrespected, no matter what party they're in. No matter who they are."
Kirk Ellis, whose writing for "John Adams" won him his Emmy, thanked the show's producers for "this amazing opportunity to talk about a period in our history when articulate men articulated complex thoughts in complete sentences."
He was then cut off by a skittish Emmy director.Skip over this content
Tommy Smothers said "It's hard for me to stay silent when I keep hearing thatpeace is attainable through war," Smothers said. "And there's nothing more scary than watching ignorance in action."
Jay Roach, who directed "Recount," seemed to think that the November election might have the makings of another miniseries."It's going to get close again this election," he said. "Keep your local officials honest and please, vote, vote, vote, vote."
Howie Mandel, fully aware he was bombing as host, compared the show to being "on Sarah Palin's bridge to nowhere. That's where we are right now," adding "This is not a joke. I'm serious. The government can't even bail us out of this."
2008 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- Utah guards face career-ending penalties over bikini photo shoot
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!