Saddest Character Deaths on TV
By Brooke Tarnoff Posted Apr 7th 2009 05:48PM
Saddest Character Deaths on TV
(April 7) - For those of us who don't read spoilers, the death of Kal Penn's character on 'House' was a terrible shock. Just as House and crew didn't see it coming, neither did we - and if we had, we're not sure we'd have guessed how sad the passing of Dr. Lawrence Kutner would be. We're not ashamed to say we got a little teary more than a couple times during the episode. Once we got started, we decided to just let it out for awhile, so we indulged in a few super-sad moments from death scenes past. Here are our top ten saddest deaths on TV.
10. Yes, 'The Simpsons' is a cartoon, but when annoyingly devout neighbor Ned Flanders lost his wife Maude.. we actually shed a real, live tear.
9. The 'West Wing' president's secretary, Mrs. Landingham, bought her first new car and immediately died in a collision with a drunk driver. The life-isn't-fairness was painful to watch.
8. Drea de Matteo's character on 'The Sopranos,' Adriana, was whacked as she crawled on her knees, begging for her life.
7. In a show filled with death, primary character Nate's end on 'Six Feet Under' was still a tearjerker.
6. For anyone who dismissed 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' as fantasy nonsense, the episode in which Buffy's mom passes away of natural causes might chage their minds. The scene that has superhero Buffy calling for her mommy never fails to bring on the tears.
5. Charlie Pace, the sometimes clownish heroin-addled rockstar character on 'Lost' redeemed himself with a final heroic act. And then he died. And it was really, really sad.
4. Dr. Mark Greene, the heart and soul of the ER in 'ER,' died of a brain tumor at the end of season 8. If the death weren't sad enough, that song they played in the scene just ripped us to shreds.
3. The son of Denis Leary's character on 'Rescue Me' was killed in a hit and run accident, and it's rip-your-guts-out sad to watch.
2. Izzie's hour-long fiance Denny died on 'Grey's Anatomy,' which is tragically sad. What's sadder is the way Izzie clung to his dead body, sobbing. We dare you to keep a dry eye.
1. When Will Lee, the actor who played Mr. Hooper on 'Sesame Street' in the '70s and early '80s, passed away, the show's producers decided to use it as a way to teach kids about death. Mr. Hooper - the character - died, and Big Bird had some trouble understanding what exactly that means. All these years later, it still breaks the heart.
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Andi Dorfman Named Bachelorette for Season 10!
- Bachelor Season 18 Finale Spoiler: Does Juan Pablo Pick Nikki Ferrell or Clare Crawley?
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Grab Lunch Together in NYC: Picture
- My Mom Is To Blame! ‘Teen Mom’ Jenelle Evans Defends Baby Daddy Yelling At Her Mother, Says He Overheard Her Making Rude Comments About Him
- ?The Bachelor' recap: Juan Pablo makes his choice in awkward, unprecedented finale
- Miley Cyrus fan sneaks into star's dressing room, leaves note, police say
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Beauty and the Beast's Sexy Reunion, How I Met Your Mother's Big Secret Revealed and More OMG TV Moments
- The Bachelor Finale Recap: Did Juan Pablo Choose Nikki or Clare? Plus, Find Out if They're Still Together!
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Are All Over Each Other in Sexy New Dance Video—Watch Now!