Isaac Mizrahi Was Not Prepared for Emotional 'Fashion Show' Drama
By Amber James Posted May 12th 2009 09:14AM
Between working on 'The Fashion Show,' opening his own boutique in Manhattan and making his directorial debut, designer Isaac Mizrahi isn't slowing down anytime soon. "My life doesn't feel overwhelming -- it feels full," he assured PopEater.
On the show, Mizrahi (along with Kelly Rowland and Fern Malis) plays host over a group of designers, who create runway shows each week and are judged by a live audience. Throughout the show, Mizrahi finds a good mix combining Heidi Klum's star power and Tim Gunn's eye for fashion.
"'The Fashion Show' is very different. It is more about competition and seeing what really goes into making clothing before it hits the runway," he said. "Competition is the new black," he said ? reiterating the show's tag line.
While Mizrahi was ready to tackle the responsibly of a fashion adviser, he wasn't prepared for the emotional drama. "The show is a surprise a second and very engrossing. I swear to you there were a couple times I actually lost it and cried when people were kicked off," he added.
At the end of the day though, Mizrahi hopes this show can inspire people. "If people get anything from me, it's because I am getting so much more from them. I learn as much as I teach," he said.Skip over this content
As Mizrahi waits to ride out the success of 'The Fashion Show,' he is already busy working on other big projects. While he prepares for the opening of his first ever shop in Manhattan, the 47-year-old designer also revealed he'll be joining Julie Saul to help curate an art show at her Chelsea gallery.
And don't limit Mizrahi to just a fashion obsessed designer. He is making his directorial debut next summer at the Opera Theater in St. Louis for 'A Little Night Music.' "That is going to be really fun. I'm directing and designing the costumes, so it's going to be crazy," he said. "My life is very full ... I wouldn't want it any other way," he said.
Isaac Mizrahi's Q&A with PopEater
Who is your inspiration? "Martha Stewart. She does everything in the world and never seems ruffled. I am trying to do that now and settle back into this crazy frenetic pace and take everything with total aplomb ... See, even when it?s semi-not working [for Martha], she is always there to pick up the pieces quickly. I love her. She's my role model."
Which celebrity is a top style icon? "Kate Moss because her style doesn't look forced. It looks so thrown together. She has an amorphous, crazy, and fabulous ecosystem of style. Kate Moss is one of the most stylish women around."
About his fashion talk-show, 'Tell Me Everything,' on Sirius Radio: "I love the idea of not having to be visual but to be literary. You have to describe what you're looking at and put it all into words on the radio. And I love the idea of conversation, which is why the show is called, 'Tell Me Everything.' "
His Fashion advice: "We always are saying people should find their own personal style, but after a while, if you have the same damn style every day, it gets a little boring ... I think everybody needs to go shopping in their own closet and take a very good stock of what you have. Then you have to force yourself to buy key items."
Should people spend money on fashion during the recession? "If you walk by a handbag that you?ll regret not having, you must buy it. But before you buy, just do a little research ? that's all. Honestly, stores are having huge sales, so it's like looting. You need to spend money to save money."Skip over this content
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miley Cyurs's Homeless MTV VMAs Date Jesse Helt Turns Himself in to Police, Cyrus Helps Pay for Legal Help
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Releases Statement About Fashion Police Host's Condition, Says She's "Resting Comfortably"
- Joan Rivers in Medically Induced Coma After Experiencing Complications During Surgery
- Kim Kardashian Admits Brody Jenner Was Upset She Didn't Invite His Girlfriend To Her Kanye West Nuptials
- Joan Rivers In Medically Induced Coma – Report
- Britney ?Betrayed!' Boyfriend Caught On Tape With Another Woman ? She's ?Devastated,' Says Source
- Martina McBride and Billy Ray Cyrus team up to honor the Beatles
- New Zack Morris: Unauthorized story 'a love letter' to Saved By The Bell
- Pregnant or burrito grande?
- Donald Trump Completes the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With the Help of Miss Universe and Miss USA—Watch Now!
- Dakota Fanning Loves Lisa Vanderpump, Talks 21st Birthday Plans (Yup, a Drink May Be Involved)
- Inside Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Budget Wedding—It Was Practically Free!