Now You Know: 'G.I. Joe' Won't Do Battle With Critics
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 4th 2009 01:38PM
Paramount Pictures may be on to something here. The studio giant, flush to their chins with 'Transformers' cash despite horrid reviews, has opted to shield mean old critics from their next explosion, 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.'
Critics slaughtered 'Transformers: Rise of the Fallen' earlier this summer, but that didn't keep people away from the Michael Bay movie. To the contrary, that box office machine brought in $388 million domestically.
Instead of possibly sending 'Joe' through the same meat grinder, Paramount says it's intentionally aiming the movie to heartland audiences and members of the military and their families -- not cultural centers like New York and Los Angeles.
"'G.I. Joe' is a big, fun, summer event movie -- one that we've seen audiences enjoy everywhere from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland to Phoenix, Ariz.," said Rob Moore, vice chairman at Paramount, according to the AP. "After the chasm we experienced with 'Transformers 2' between the response of audiences and critics, we chose to forgo opening-day print and broadcast reviews as a strategy to promote 'G.I. Joe.' We want audiences to define this film."
The movie reportedly cost $175 million to make and has a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans and Sienna Miller.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: NFL star gets tons of wedding gifts
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
- Universal Channel to Launch in Germany
- Cannes: Psy Impersonator Tricks Festival Organizers, Partygoers
- Benedict Cumberbatch Showers in Deleted 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene (Video)
- ?Nashville' season finale: Every kind of cliffhanger
- ?Modern Family' finale react: Moseying along
- Five ?Arrested Development' fanfiction ? aka Bluthcest ? stories you didn't know existed
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots!
- 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga