Now You Know: 'G.I. Joe' Won't Do Battle With Critics
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 4th 2009 01:38PM
Paramount Pictures may be on to something here. The studio giant, flush to their chins with 'Transformers' cash despite horrid reviews, has opted to shield mean old critics from their next explosion, 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.'
Critics slaughtered 'Transformers: Rise of the Fallen' earlier this summer, but that didn't keep people away from the Michael Bay movie. To the contrary, that box office machine brought in $388 million domestically.
Instead of possibly sending 'Joe' through the same meat grinder, Paramount says it's intentionally aiming the movie to heartland audiences and members of the military and their families -- not cultural centers like New York and Los Angeles.
"'G.I. Joe' is a big, fun, summer event movie -- one that we've seen audiences enjoy everywhere from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland to Phoenix, Ariz.," said Rob Moore, vice chairman at Paramount, according to the AP. "After the chasm we experienced with 'Transformers 2' between the response of audiences and critics, we chose to forgo opening-day print and broadcast reviews as a strategy to promote 'G.I. Joe.' We want audiences to define this film."
The movie reportedly cost $175 million to make and has a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans and Sienna Miller.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Wardrobe whoopsies: On purpose, or an accident?
- Rapper cuts off penis in suicide attempt, reattach fails, report says
- 'X-Men' director Bryan Singer accused of sexually abusing 17-year-old boy in 1999
- How Long Will Tyler Perry's Break From Movies Last?
- Summer Box-Office Forecast: Studio-by-Studio Breakdown
- Cannes Fest Director Comments on 'Persona Non Grata' T-Shirt Lars von Trier Wore in Berlin
- Confessions from a ?Real World' open casting call
- ?Arrow' recap: It's not easy being green
- ?Survivor: Cagayan': And the eliminated contestant is?
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Post-Credits Clip Teases 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- This Is the Reason 'Noah' Is Full of White People
- Chloe Grace Moretz Officially Joins 'The 5th Wave'