Who Could Replace Paula Abdul?
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 5th 2009 11:44AM
official statement from FOX has confirmed the news. We thought the nurturing den mother of the 'American Idol' judges' panel would be forever our girl, but now we're forced to consider the alternatives. Will the 'Idol' judge count stay at three, as it did for so many years? Or will the producers stick with last year's formula and add a fourth to join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi? Just in case, we've whipped up a list of possible replacements for the divine Miss Abdul. We're here to help.
Ryan Seacrest told TMZ that Jennifer Lopez would be a perfect replacement for Abdul, and though it was clearly a joke, it made us think. Brooke White said it best to MTV: "I never thought about J.Lo as a judge ... she was a good mentor, though. And when you're on the show, you see these mentors and sometimes you only get a few minutes with them and you don't really get a sense of them. But some of them take the extra time to reach out and be a little personable. And I think she was one of those."
Another recording artist famous for her '80s hits, Lauper has released 11 albums and over 40 singles - many of which she wrote herself. Most of all, we'd love to hear that gritty baby voice critiquing the contestants, time after time.
What do we want - do we really, really want - if we can't have Paula at the judges' table? Any member of the Spice Girls - especially the artist formerly known as Scary Spice, Mel Brown, who would surely frighten the wannabes into performing their best.
Four-time Grammy award winner Olivia Newton-John is famous for unleashing her pipes in 'Grease' and we'll always love her for that. Her experience guest-hosting 'Idol' can't hurt either.
What have we learned? 'American Idol' is a great place for an '80s powerhouse performer to revamp a sleepy career. They say Whitney Houston is poised for a comeback, but if that doesn't work out, we know a certain judges' panel that could use the kind of talent that made 'Saving All My Love for You' soar.
You might know that the 'Love Is a Battlefield' singer has four Grammy awards under her belt, but did you know Pat Benetar's a classically trained coloratura soprano? Someone with chops like that could be exactly what 'Idol' is missing - the ultimate expert judge.
Love or hate her, you have to admit - Sarah Palin's got a face for TV and a lot of charisma. And just deny for one minute that you'd tune in to see the hockey mom from Alaska take on another election.... this time on FOX.
The catty gossip columnist would be perfect for Paula Abdul's job, because he just LOVES to judge. Get it? No, seriously, Perez Hilton seems to have a knack for calling out up-and-coming musicians.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Between Two Ferns' director Scott Aukerman on how they got Obama to laugh at himself
- Matthew McConaughey's ?Wolf of Wall Street' chest thump gets a remix ? VIDEO
- Jennifer Lopez says she would let both Ben Affleck and Diddy (hypothetically) drown ? VIDEO
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm Photobomb Tourists!
- Pic! Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Spied in NYC
- Real Housewives of Orange County Season 9: Meet the New Housewives Elizabeth "Lizzie" Rovsek and Shannon Beador
- Bachelor Juan Pablo's Obscene Comment to Clare Crawley, Celebs React to His Pick: Top Stories
- Jake Gyllenhaal Dances Around Naked, Bangs on Pans on Film Set: See the Bizarre Pictures