Who Could Replace Paula Abdul?
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 5th 2009 11:44AM
official statement from FOX has confirmed the news. We thought the nurturing den mother of the 'American Idol' judges' panel would be forever our girl, but now we're forced to consider the alternatives. Will the 'Idol' judge count stay at three, as it did for so many years? Or will the producers stick with last year's formula and add a fourth to join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi? Just in case, we've whipped up a list of possible replacements for the divine Miss Abdul. We're here to help.
Ryan Seacrest told TMZ that Jennifer Lopez would be a perfect replacement for Abdul, and though it was clearly a joke, it made us think. Brooke White said it best to MTV: "I never thought about J.Lo as a judge ... she was a good mentor, though. And when you're on the show, you see these mentors and sometimes you only get a few minutes with them and you don't really get a sense of them. But some of them take the extra time to reach out and be a little personable. And I think she was one of those."
Another recording artist famous for her '80s hits, Lauper has released 11 albums and over 40 singles - many of which she wrote herself. Most of all, we'd love to hear that gritty baby voice critiquing the contestants, time after time.
What do we want - do we really, really want - if we can't have Paula at the judges' table? Any member of the Spice Girls - especially the artist formerly known as Scary Spice, Mel Brown, who would surely frighten the wannabes into performing their best.
Four-time Grammy award winner Olivia Newton-John is famous for unleashing her pipes in 'Grease' and we'll always love her for that. Her experience guest-hosting 'Idol' can't hurt either.
What have we learned? 'American Idol' is a great place for an '80s powerhouse performer to revamp a sleepy career. They say Whitney Houston is poised for a comeback, but if that doesn't work out, we know a certain judges' panel that could use the kind of talent that made 'Saving All My Love for You' soar.
You might know that the 'Love Is a Battlefield' singer has four Grammy awards under her belt, but did you know Pat Benetar's a classically trained coloratura soprano? Someone with chops like that could be exactly what 'Idol' is missing - the ultimate expert judge.
Love or hate her, you have to admit - Sarah Palin's got a face for TV and a lot of charisma. And just deny for one minute that you'd tune in to see the hockey mom from Alaska take on another election.... this time on FOX.
The catty gossip columnist would be perfect for Paula Abdul's job, because he just LOVES to judge. Get it? No, seriously, Perez Hilton seems to have a knack for calling out up-and-coming musicians.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 8 things you didn't know about Miranda Lambert
- Reba McEntire: I always have more to learn
- Celebrity weight loss winners
- The best Black Friday deals for videogames, movies, more
- Jim Parsons talks theater and the ?charming' ?Merton of the Movies'
- 'The Voice' Results Live Blog! Who's In and Who's Out
- Laura Dern Hopes ?Jurassic World' Continues to Reinvent That ?Jurassic' Experience
- Extra Scoop: Bruce Jenner's ?Kinky' Night Out with Rumored GF
- Miley Cyrus, Patrick Schwarzenegger Lick Each Other in Photobooth Pics
- Angelina Jolie Considering a Movie into Politics, "If I Felt I Could Really Make A Difference, Yes."
- Diem Brown's Love Chris "CT" Tamburello Proposed Five Days Before Her Death; Kendra Wilkinson Talks Sex With Hugh Hefner: Top 5 Stories