John Hughes, Director of '80s Teen Classics, Dies
Hughes was responsible for some of the most successful comedy films of the 1980s and 1990s, including 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Weird Science', 'The Breakfast Club', 'National Lampoon's Vacation', 'Sixteen Candles', 'Pretty in Pink,' 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles,' and 'Home Alone 1 & 2.'
Hughes had gotten his start as a writer for National Lampoon magazine. Children of the 1980s flocked to his teen trilogy made up of 'Sixteen Candles,' 'The Breakfast Club' and 'Weird Science' which helped to define a generation and make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall.
Hughes' imprint was felt on several of his writing efforts too, ranging from 'Pretty in Pink' to 'Some Kind of Wonderful' as well as 'National Lampoon's Vacation' and the 'European' and 'Christmas' sequels. See Classic Hughes Quotes
Hughes had a gift for discovering talent. Other than Ringwald, stars like Robert Downey Jr., Bill Paxton, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez and Jon Cryer had major career breaks courtesy of Hughes productions. His 1986 teen classic 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off,' which he wrote and directed, helped turn Matthew Broderick into a leading man. Track Down Locations for Hughes' Classics Hughes films' also captured the sounds of the times, with soundtracks for several films including 'Breakfast Club' and 'Pretty in Pink' producing new wave classics that were also chart toppers.
In the later years of his Hollywood career, Hughes turned towards more adult and family films, including his holiday classic 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' and 'Uncle Buck,' both starring the late John Candy. He also was a writer on the blockbuster comedy 'Home Alone.' Hughes hadn't directed a film since 1991's 'Curly Sue.' His last produced screenplay was 1998's 'Reach the Rock.'
A spokesperson for Hughes confirmed the director's death. Variety reports that over the last decade, Hughes had stepped away from show business to spend time with his family, maintain a functioning farm in Illinois and support independent arts. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy, two sons, John and James, and four grandchildren. Revisit His Accomplished Filmography at Moviefone >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?The Bachelor' recap: Juan Pablo makes his choice in awkward, unprecedented finale
- Miley Cyrus fan sneaks into star's dressing room, leaves note, police say
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Seth Rogen and Jimmy Kimmel Spoof 'True Detective' Season 2 (Video)
- China Box Office: 'RoboCop' Rides 3D Wave to Top of Chinese Charts
- The Next 'Bachelorette' Revealed by ABC
- ?Believe' react: Life doesn't wait for long
- ?How I Met Your Mother' react: Lily's got a secret and the Mosby Boys return!
- ?The Bachelor' finale: ?Whoo! I'm glad I didn't pick her!'
- Box Office: 'Mr. Peabody & Sherman' Could Lose DreamWorks $84 Million
- 'Batman vs. Superman' Production Begins in Michigan?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 7 Things You Need to Know About the Intergalactic Epic