Alana Stewart Retells Farrah Fawcett's Cancer Battle
Stewart, who was a friend of Fawcett's since their early modeling days, talks about Fawcett's inspiring attitude, and her courageous fight against cancer. Stewart was present for much of Fawcett's treatment and recovery, even helping her document parts on a video camera.
"I would drop everything, leave my family and my dogs and my home and hop on a plane at a moment's notice if she needed me," Stewart says of their friendship. "I felt like she was also my family, that this was something I had to do and wanted to do and that I would worry about myself later."
In retelling the tale of Fawcett's final years, Stewart resorted to diary entries that she'd kept, going into detail about Fawcett's deteriorating condition and the physical and emotional tolls she was faced with. Stewart's new book, 'My Journey With Farrah: A Story of Life, Love and Friendship,' is a collection of such entries, giving readers a firsthand, personal reflection of Fawcett and her battle with cancer.
"It was very hard - sometimes unbearable - to watch my friend suffer but I was in awe of her ferocious determination," Stewart says. "I marvelled at her heroism in waging war with an enemy that gave no hint as to where it might attack next or how much it would destroy in its path."
Frederick M. Brown, Getty Images
Barry King, WireImage
Jeff Kravitz, FilmMagic
Hulton Archive / Getty Images
Michael Tighe, Hulton Archive / Getty Images
"I have kept journals since I was nine, and I would sometimes read Farrah what I had written in them. She loved my writing. 'You're such a good writer,' she'd say encouragingly. 'You must keep doing this,'" says Stewart.
"Leafing through the frantically scribbled entries – some written in the wee hours of the morning when I was too stressed to sleep – I found that book that Farrah had once suggested about two friends and their journey together. I suspect Farrah knew it was in there all along..."
What follows is several heartfelt excerpts from the book regarding Fawcett's initial diagnosis and subsequent cancer treatments. Stewart, ex-wife to George Hamilton and Rod Stewart, goes into details regarding Fawcett's treatment, their conversations and Fawcett's attitude throughout her illness.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner Feels Betrayed By Bruce Jenner; Brittany Maynard Pushes Back Death Date: Top 5 Stories
- Prince William, Pregnant Kate Middleton Go on Babymoon With Prince George in Scotland -- Details
- Khloe Kardashian Celebrates 14 Million Instagram Followers With a Super Sexy Booty Snap -- See the Pic!
- Inherited Or Injected? Khloe Kardashian & Kylie Jenner Flaunt Matching Trout Pouts As Nip Tuck Rumors Continue
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Orson Welles' final film may be released
- 'I Was Here': Beyonce song inspires Iraqi youth peace movement
- Julianne Hough Gets Emotional While Delivering a Special Message to Her Older Sister—Watch the Sweet Clip!
- These Are Chelsea Handler's Naked Boobs on a Horse...
- Michelle Rodriguez Imagines How Paul Walker Would Have Reacted to the Furious 7 Trailer: Watch Now!