Alana Stewart Retells Farrah Fawcett's Cancer Battle
Stewart, who was a friend of Fawcett's since their early modeling days, talks about Fawcett's inspiring attitude, and her courageous fight against cancer. Stewart was present for much of Fawcett's treatment and recovery, even helping her document parts on a video camera.
"I would drop everything, leave my family and my dogs and my home and hop on a plane at a moment's notice if she needed me," Stewart says of their friendship. "I felt like she was also my family, that this was something I had to do and wanted to do and that I would worry about myself later."
In retelling the tale of Fawcett's final years, Stewart resorted to diary entries that she'd kept, going into detail about Fawcett's deteriorating condition and the physical and emotional tolls she was faced with. Stewart's new book, 'My Journey With Farrah: A Story of Life, Love and Friendship,' is a collection of such entries, giving readers a firsthand, personal reflection of Fawcett and her battle with cancer.
"It was very hard - sometimes unbearable - to watch my friend suffer but I was in awe of her ferocious determination," Stewart says. "I marvelled at her heroism in waging war with an enemy that gave no hint as to where it might attack next or how much it would destroy in its path."
Frederick M. Brown, Getty Images
Barry King, WireImage
Jeff Kravitz, FilmMagic
Hulton Archive / Getty Images
Michael Tighe, Hulton Archive / Getty Images
"I have kept journals since I was nine, and I would sometimes read Farrah what I had written in them. She loved my writing. 'You're such a good writer,' she'd say encouragingly. 'You must keep doing this,'" says Stewart.
"Leafing through the frantically scribbled entries – some written in the wee hours of the morning when I was too stressed to sleep – I found that book that Farrah had once suggested about two friends and their journey together. I suspect Farrah knew it was in there all along..."
What follows is several heartfelt excerpts from the book regarding Fawcett's initial diagnosis and subsequent cancer treatments. Stewart, ex-wife to George Hamilton and Rod Stewart, goes into details regarding Fawcett's treatment, their conversations and Fawcett's attitude throughout her illness.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda de Cadenet: Chelsea Handler Inspired My New Lifetime Talk Show!
- Rachel McAdams Cringes While Watching Notebook Audition Tape for the First Time Ever on the Today Show
- Jenny McCarthy Jokes About Hillary Clinton's Sexuality on The View, Implies She's Had Girlfriends
- She's An American Woman In London! Noelle Reno Dishes About Life, Work And Reality Show ?Ladies Of London'
- Madonna’s Underage Teenage Daughter Says She ‘Awkwardly Avoided Teachers’ At Prom After Drinking Champagne
- Reality Showdown! Producers Now Deciding Between Fan-Favorite ?Bachelorette' Alum Arie Luyendyk Jr. And Andi Dorfman Cast-Off Chris Soules In Next Bachelor Casting
- Leonardo DiCaprio spotted partying with 25 models, source says
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Salma Hayek Makes the Ultimate Hot Teacher—See the Pic!
- Blake Lively Reveals the Best Surprise She's Ever Given Ryan Reynolds and 72 Other Fun Facts—Watch Now!
- Madonna Impersonator Identifies Gender: "I Embrace Myself as a Queen"—Watch the Botched Deleted Scene!