Alana Stewart Retells Farrah Fawcett's Cancer Battle
Stewart, who was a friend of Fawcett's since their early modeling days, talks about Fawcett's inspiring attitude, and her courageous fight against cancer. Stewart was present for much of Fawcett's treatment and recovery, even helping her document parts on a video camera.
"I would drop everything, leave my family and my dogs and my home and hop on a plane at a moment's notice if she needed me," Stewart says of their friendship. "I felt like she was also my family, that this was something I had to do and wanted to do and that I would worry about myself later."
In retelling the tale of Fawcett's final years, Stewart resorted to diary entries that she'd kept, going into detail about Fawcett's deteriorating condition and the physical and emotional tolls she was faced with. Stewart's new book, 'My Journey With Farrah: A Story of Life, Love and Friendship,' is a collection of such entries, giving readers a firsthand, personal reflection of Fawcett and her battle with cancer.
"It was very hard - sometimes unbearable - to watch my friend suffer but I was in awe of her ferocious determination," Stewart says. "I marvelled at her heroism in waging war with an enemy that gave no hint as to where it might attack next or how much it would destroy in its path."
Frederick M. Brown, Getty Images
Barry King, WireImage
Jeff Kravitz, FilmMagic
Hulton Archive / Getty Images
Michael Tighe, Hulton Archive / Getty Images
"I have kept journals since I was nine, and I would sometimes read Farrah what I had written in them. She loved my writing. 'You're such a good writer,' she'd say encouragingly. 'You must keep doing this,'" says Stewart.
"Leafing through the frantically scribbled entries – some written in the wee hours of the morning when I was too stressed to sleep – I found that book that Farrah had once suggested about two friends and their journey together. I suspect Farrah knew it was in there all along..."
What follows is several heartfelt excerpts from the book regarding Fawcett's initial diagnosis and subsequent cancer treatments. Stewart, ex-wife to George Hamilton and Rod Stewart, goes into details regarding Fawcett's treatment, their conversations and Fawcett's attitude throughout her illness.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cameron Diaz, Benji Madden Smooch For the Kiss Cam at L.A. Lakers Game
- Tom Brady's High School Coach Reveals He Was Once Locked in a Locker in High School, Confirms He's Always Been That Hot
- Miss California USA Contestant Chanelle Riggan Suffers Bikini Malfunction During Pageant, Recovers Like a Pro
- Larry Wilmore takes on ?American Sniper' on ?The Nightly Show'
- Katie Holmes to portray businesswoman in 'Ray Donovan'
- 2 Chainz considers running for mayor in hometown
- Gabrielle Union Recasts Bring It On, Reveals Surprise Dream Role and Talks Importance of Strengthening Her Own Brand
- Ariana Grande vs. Russell Wilson: Who Rocked a Seattle Seahawks Jersey Better? Find Out Whose Look the Quarterback's Teammates Prefer!
- Hugh Jackman's "Slightly Frozen" Puppy Is So Adorable After Surviving Snowmageddon—See the Cute Pics!