Comic Tells One Too Many Jokes About Her Mother-in-Law
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 25th 2009 03:46PM
According to the AP, Croonquist's mother-in-law Ruth Zafrin accuses her of spreading defamatory and racist lies through the many zingers she has used during her lengthy career.
The action seeks unspecified damages and demands that Croonquist remove any offensive statements from her Web site, routines and recordings. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in New Jersey back in April and judge is scheduled to hear a motion to dismiss on Sept. 8.
Croonquist is half-black, half-Swedish, grew up Roman Catholic and married into a Jewish family -- an absolute perfect storm of possible punchlines. She tells the AP that in-law jokes just come natural to her.
A sampling of her jokes:
The one where her mom-in-law reacts to her being pregnant: "OK, now that we know you're having a little girl I want to know what you're naming that little tchotchke. Now we don't want a name that's difficult to pronounce like Shaniqua. We're thinking a name short but delicious. Like Hadassah or Goldie."
The one where she visits her mom-in-law's house for the first time: "I walk in, I say, 'Thank you so much for having me here, Ruthie.' She says, 'The pleasure's all mine, have a seat.'" Then, in a loud aside, 'Harriet, put my pocketbook away.'"
The one where she talks about their differences: "I'm a black woman with a Jewish mother-in-law. Now you know the only thing we have in common, is that we don't wanna get our hair wet. Haaaaaaaay!
"They're nice jokes. There's nothing bad, nothing defamatory," swears Croonquist, who converted to Judaism before she met her husband and keeps a kosher house in Los Angeles.
The lawsuit was filed by mother-in-law Ruth Zafrin, her daughter, Shelley Edelman, and Shelley's husband, Neil. Neither Zafrin, the Edelmans nor their attorney, Lawrence H. Wertheim, returned calls for comment.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Walking Dead's Seth Gilliam Arrested for DUI, Marijuana Possession: See Father Gabriel Stokes' Mugshot
- Robert Herjavec, Kym Johnson Explain That Shocking Kiss on Dancing With the Stars
- Jack Black, Jimmy Fallon Expertly Recreate Extreme's "More Than Words" Music Video: Watch Now!
- Kim Kardashian nearly nude at 2015 Met Gala, as is Beyonce
- Tiger Woods losing sleep over Lindsey Vonn split, father's death
- Joan Collins: Dad taught me to never trust fame
- Spoiler Chat: Scoop on Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones, Scandal, The Flash, Outlander and More!
- Operation Normal: How Prince William and Kate Middleton Are Trying to Mold Prince George and Princess Charlotte to Be Just Like Us
- Happy Cinco de Mayo! Celebrate With These Stars With Mexican Heritage