Director Found Starving In Wilderness
During his adventure, Wardle sent out a daily Twitter message to confirm he was still alive. He tracked his progress through the 500,000 square mile wilderness using a GPS satellite tracking device and avoided all human contact. He would leave video tapes at drop-off points to be picked up by collection teams in a helicopter.
But as the weeks passed, family and friends grew worried about Wardle's progress as he began hallucinating and talking to insects as starvation set in. His videos also showed his weight rapidly decreasing over the fifty days.
Prior to setting off, Wardle said, "I imagine I have a long future of fish-eating in front of me. It's going to be trout and grayling for 12 weeks. But meat's a relatively easy thing to get your hands on too. There are hares, squirrels and gophers. They're good to eat because they're fatty. The porcupines are easy to catch because they don't move very fast. As long as you're careful with the spines, they're a good source of food. You hit it with a big stick, roll it over, slice it open and peel the skin back, the same as you would any mammal."
John Beyer, Director of Media Watch said "'This is a pretty foolish enterprise. If Channel 4 are going to send people on this kind of expedition, they really must make sure they are up to it and have the skills necessary to survive. If they first of all did not check that Ed Wardle was competent, then that is the height of irresponsibility on the part of Channel 4, to do that merely to provide entertainment for us all back home to watch this man steadily deteriorate."
Wardle arrived back in London on Monday and is now being treated at home.
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
John Shearer, WireImage
Jean-Paul Aussenard, WireImage
Jeff Vespa, WireImage
Vince Talotta, Toronto Star / Zuma Press
Craig Sjodin, ABC
Ryan Born, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Whitney Houston Live Album Coming in November From Producer Pal Clive Davis
- Sharon Osbourne Trashes U2 as "Middle Age Political Groupies," "Megalomaniacs"
- Rihanna Rips CBS for Pulling Thursday Night Football Introduction, Network Responds
- Look Who's Talking! John Travolta Calls Gay Rumors ?Every Celebrity’s Achilles Heel,' Not Bothered By Chatter He ?Can't Control'
- Humiliated Housewife Teresa Giudice Deliberately Waited Until ?RHONJ' Ended To List Her Homes For Sale ? She ?Didn't Want That Turmoil On TV,' Says Source
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album
- Did Iggy Azalea sign away rights to sex tape?
- CBS buys 'Big Bang Theory's' Kevin Sussman's new mob comedy