Director Found Starving In Wilderness
During his adventure, Wardle sent out a daily Twitter message to confirm he was still alive. He tracked his progress through the 500,000 square mile wilderness using a GPS satellite tracking device and avoided all human contact. He would leave video tapes at drop-off points to be picked up by collection teams in a helicopter.
But as the weeks passed, family and friends grew worried about Wardle's progress as he began hallucinating and talking to insects as starvation set in. His videos also showed his weight rapidly decreasing over the fifty days.
Prior to setting off, Wardle said, "I imagine I have a long future of fish-eating in front of me. It's going to be trout and grayling for 12 weeks. But meat's a relatively easy thing to get your hands on too. There are hares, squirrels and gophers. They're good to eat because they're fatty. The porcupines are easy to catch because they don't move very fast. As long as you're careful with the spines, they're a good source of food. You hit it with a big stick, roll it over, slice it open and peel the skin back, the same as you would any mammal."
John Beyer, Director of Media Watch said "'This is a pretty foolish enterprise. If Channel 4 are going to send people on this kind of expedition, they really must make sure they are up to it and have the skills necessary to survive. If they first of all did not check that Ed Wardle was competent, then that is the height of irresponsibility on the part of Channel 4, to do that merely to provide entertainment for us all back home to watch this man steadily deteriorate."
Wardle arrived back in London on Monday and is now being treated at home.
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
John Shearer, WireImage
Jean-Paul Aussenard, WireImage
Jeff Vespa, WireImage
Vince Talotta, Toronto Star / Zuma Press
Craig Sjodin, ABC
Ryan Born, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- New York Times Apologizes for "Angry Black Woman" Review of Shonda Rhimes' New TV Show: "Commentators Are Correct to Protest"
- Juliette Lewis Defends Scientology, Tom Cruise With "Conspiratorial" Theory
- Ashton Kutcher's Sister Tausha Welcomes Baby Boy Days Before Mila Kunis Set to Give Birth
- Up In Smoke! Alaskan Reporter Charlo Greene Profanely Quits On The Air, With Ulterior Motive In Mind
- Shooting The Messenger? Dina Manzo Says She Needed Therapy After Confronting Twins Teresa Aprea & Nicole Napolitano About Cheating Rumor
- Teresa Giudice's Legal Crisis Manager Wants ?The View' To Hire Her To Revamp Show ? ?I Expect A Call,' She Says
- Report: Miss America Kira Kazantsev kicked out of sorority for hazing
- Then/Now: The cast of 'Friends'
- Report: Con men faked identities to work with kids on Hollywood film sets
- Why You Won't Be Able to Stop Talking About Robin Lord Taylor (AKA the Penguin) After Watching Gotham
- Iggy Azalea Rocks Her Shortest Dress Yet—See the Colorful Look!
- Ginnifer Goodwin Returns to the Red Carpet for the First Time Since Giving Birth in May—See the Pics!