Director Found Starving In Wilderness
During his adventure, Wardle sent out a daily Twitter message to confirm he was still alive. He tracked his progress through the 500,000 square mile wilderness using a GPS satellite tracking device and avoided all human contact. He would leave video tapes at drop-off points to be picked up by collection teams in a helicopter.
But as the weeks passed, family and friends grew worried about Wardle's progress as he began hallucinating and talking to insects as starvation set in. His videos also showed his weight rapidly decreasing over the fifty days.
Prior to setting off, Wardle said, "I imagine I have a long future of fish-eating in front of me. It's going to be trout and grayling for 12 weeks. But meat's a relatively easy thing to get your hands on too. There are hares, squirrels and gophers. They're good to eat because they're fatty. The porcupines are easy to catch because they don't move very fast. As long as you're careful with the spines, they're a good source of food. You hit it with a big stick, roll it over, slice it open and peel the skin back, the same as you would any mammal."
John Beyer, Director of Media Watch said "'This is a pretty foolish enterprise. If Channel 4 are going to send people on this kind of expedition, they really must make sure they are up to it and have the skills necessary to survive. If they first of all did not check that Ed Wardle was competent, then that is the height of irresponsibility on the part of Channel 4, to do that merely to provide entertainment for us all back home to watch this man steadily deteriorate."
Wardle arrived back in London on Monday and is now being treated at home.
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
John Shearer, WireImage
Jean-Paul Aussenard, WireImage
Jeff Vespa, WireImage
Vince Talotta, Toronto Star / Zuma Press
Craig Sjodin, ABC
Ryan Born, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tori Spelling: I Hit "Rock Bottom" After Kids "Weren't Even Fazed By Me Being in the Hospital"
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana Covers Her Baby Bump in a Striped Dress, Grabs Breakfast With Husband Marco Perego
- Cake Trailer: Watch Transformed Jennifer Aniston in Raw New Clip
- Destroyed By Fame! Leah Messer Blames Marriage Crisis On Reality Show
- Under Siege Kendra Wilkinson Recalls First-Time Sex With 78-Year-Old Hugh Hefner ? At 18!
- Garth Brooks cancels talk show appearances after Ferguson 'unrest'
- New documentary explores the life, career of Kurt Cobain
- Members of press issue mea culpas on botched Bill Cosby coverage
- France's Palace of Versailles Has a Hall With 357 Mirrors and More—See the Stunning Pics!
- Bruce Jenner Steps Out With Kris' Best Friend Ronda Kamihira to See Kinky Boots—See the Pics!
- Watch This Dad Listen to His Son's Donor Heart Beating in Another Man's Chest (But Prepare to Sob)