Director Found Starving In Wilderness
During his adventure, Wardle sent out a daily Twitter message to confirm he was still alive. He tracked his progress through the 500,000 square mile wilderness using a GPS satellite tracking device and avoided all human contact. He would leave video tapes at drop-off points to be picked up by collection teams in a helicopter.
But as the weeks passed, family and friends grew worried about Wardle's progress as he began hallucinating and talking to insects as starvation set in. His videos also showed his weight rapidly decreasing over the fifty days.
Prior to setting off, Wardle said, "I imagine I have a long future of fish-eating in front of me. It's going to be trout and grayling for 12 weeks. But meat's a relatively easy thing to get your hands on too. There are hares, squirrels and gophers. They're good to eat because they're fatty. The porcupines are easy to catch because they don't move very fast. As long as you're careful with the spines, they're a good source of food. You hit it with a big stick, roll it over, slice it open and peel the skin back, the same as you would any mammal."
John Beyer, Director of Media Watch said "'This is a pretty foolish enterprise. If Channel 4 are going to send people on this kind of expedition, they really must make sure they are up to it and have the skills necessary to survive. If they first of all did not check that Ed Wardle was competent, then that is the height of irresponsibility on the part of Channel 4, to do that merely to provide entertainment for us all back home to watch this man steadily deteriorate."
Wardle arrived back in London on Monday and is now being treated at home.
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
John Shearer, WireImage
Jean-Paul Aussenard, WireImage
Jeff Vespa, WireImage
Vince Talotta, Toronto Star / Zuma Press
Craig Sjodin, ABC
Ryan Born, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Middleton Is Four Days Past Her Due Date, Awaiting Royal Baby
- Bruce Jenner's First Wife Chrystie Crownover Watched "Cathartic" ABC Special With His Family
- Avengers: Age of Ultron Review: Superhero Smash Gets 3 Out of 4 Stars, Franchise Has "Unlimited Growth"
- Jay Z Goes on Tidal Twitter rant: 'We're here for the long haul'
- Kim Richards enters rehab after drunken arrest, report says
- Germany's indie theaters boycott ?Avengers: Age of Ultron':
- Kim Kardashian Continues to Support Bruce Jenner's Transition on Today: "We Work Out Everything as a Family"
- Nate Berkus and Jeremiah Brent Share the First Photo of Poppy: "Our Daughter Continues to Be the Biggest Gift"
- Nikki Reed and Ian Somerhalder Are Married!