Madonna Booed in Bucharest by Band of Gypsy Haters
"It's been brought to my attention that there's a lot of discrimination against Romani and Gypsies in general in eastern Europe, and that makes me very sad," she told the crowd of 60,000 in Bucharest. As she spoke, a vocal minority began booing her words. She did not acknowledge the jeers. Watch video after the jump.
When she proclaimed, "We believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone!", you can actually hear people yelling "No!", however the cheers of approving fans eventually drowned out the grumbling.
Many of the dancers and musicians in Madonna's show were Gypsies, also known as Roma.
According to the Associated Press, there are some 500,000 Roma in Romania, but the real number could total around 2 million. They have long faced prejudice and discrimination in eastern European nations.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Report: Robert De Niro owes $6.4 million to IRS
- UFC champ Ronda Rousey in feud with ring girl Arianny Celeste
- Lupita Nyong'o's $150G Oscars dress stolen
- Robin Williams' Daughter's First Interview Since Her Father's Death
- Courteney Cox and Johnny McDaid Put Breakup Rumors to Rest
- Lisa Rinna: My Husband Harry Hamlin Said He'd Divorce Me If I Joined Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- Bill Cosby Says He's "Far From Finished" in New Statement As More Women Come Forward
- Gisele Bundchen Recalls "Magical" Wedding Day With Tom Brady in Throwback Photo, Shares Rare Glimpse of Sequin Dress