Madonna Booed in Bucharest by Band of Gypsy Haters
"It's been brought to my attention that there's a lot of discrimination against Romani and Gypsies in general in eastern Europe, and that makes me very sad," she told the crowd of 60,000 in Bucharest. As she spoke, a vocal minority began booing her words. She did not acknowledge the jeers. Watch video after the jump.
When she proclaimed, "We believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone!", you can actually hear people yelling "No!", however the cheers of approving fans eventually drowned out the grumbling.
Many of the dancers and musicians in Madonna's show were Gypsies, also known as Roma.
According to the Associated Press, there are some 500,000 Roma in Romania, but the real number could total around 2 million. They have long faced prejudice and discrimination in eastern European nations.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Comedy Great Anne Meara of Stiller & Meara, Ben Stiller's Mom, Dies at 85
- Confirmed: Prince Harry Finally Meets His Niece!
- Touching Video: Kim Richards Attends Her Daughter's Wedding!
- Josh Duggar Makes Joke About Siblings Dating: Video Resurfaces Amid Child Molestation Accusations
- Katy Perry Hasn't Talked to Russell Brand Since He Texted Her to File for Divorce Over Two Years Ago
- Sasheer Zamata Dishes on Meeting Rihanna After Playing Her on Saturday Night Live