Madonna Booed in Bucharest by Band of Gypsy Haters
"It's been brought to my attention that there's a lot of discrimination against Romani and Gypsies in general in eastern Europe, and that makes me very sad," she told the crowd of 60,000 in Bucharest. As she spoke, a vocal minority began booing her words. She did not acknowledge the jeers. Watch video after the jump.
When she proclaimed, "We believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone!", you can actually hear people yelling "No!", however the cheers of approving fans eventually drowned out the grumbling.
Many of the dancers and musicians in Madonna's show were Gypsies, also known as Roma.
According to the Associated Press, there are some 500,000 Roma in Romania, but the real number could total around 2 million. They have long faced prejudice and discrimination in eastern European nations.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios in Chicago to close in December
- '19 Kids & Counting's' Derick Dillard blasted for running over cat with sled
- Brown family reportedly filming reality show amid Bobbi Kristina tragedy
- Why Cameron Diaz Thinks Social Media Is Dangerous
- Carrie Underwood Posts First Pic of Baby Boy
- George Clooney Gushes About Wife Amal
- Dakota Johnson Returns to Renovated Fifty Shades' Red Room (With a New Sex Swing!) in Cut SNL Skit: Watch!
- Molly Ringwald: I Was First Offered Ally Sheedy's "Basketcase" Breakfast Club Role, and Other 30th Anniversary Memories
- Curt Schilling and His Teenage Daughter Gabby Speak Out After Exposing Cyberbullies: "I'll Never Not Protect Her"