DJ AM Found Dead in New York
A friend checking on Goldstein eventually called police, and they broke down the door and found his body lying in his bed. More Details, Videos and Photo Tributes After the Jump
Jamie McCarthy, Getty Images
John Parra, WireImage
Tiffany Rose, Getty Images
Brett Flashnick, AP
Frank Micelotta, Getty Images
Michael Loccisano, Film Magic
Jeff Vespa Archive / WireImage
Chris Weeks, WireImage
Police found prescription pills and a glass pipe in the Manhattan apartment after medics had to break down the door. TMZ was told by officials that Goldstein's shirtless body was found at 5PM on Friday afternoon. He was pronounced dead about an hour later.
A friend had called police to say he was unable to get into the home in the trendy SoHo neighborhood. There was no evidence of foul play, and a medical examiner will determine the DJ's cause of death. More Updates From TMZ
Goldstein was a highly regarded and sought-after DJ beloved by Hollywood partygoers and music aficionados alike. He was known for his eclectic taste in music and blending all genres into his routines. He also dated celebrities Nicole Richie and Mandy Moore.
DJ AM barely escaped death in a 2008 plane crash involving him and fellow musician Travis Barker. Their plane crashed after aborting takeoff, killing four other people.
Recalling the crash to PEOPLE, Goldstein said that he was asleep in the plane when "the next thing I remember is us crashing into something ... I woke up to Travis screaming and the plane engulfed in flames. I remember thinking it was like 'Miami Vice,' where a car is on fire and you run before the gas tank explodes - we gotta get out of here!"
Goldstein was badly burned in the crash. "My eyebrows and layers of skin were burned off my face ... My forehead was gouged and my arm had skin hanging off. I was in shock and didn't feel anything," he said.
In a 2008 interview with Glamour magazine, Goldstein spoke about his past battles with drug addiction in the past. He said he would "race downtown and buy crack" after getting money during his early 20s. He was sober for nine years prior to his death.
In the Glamour interview, he also tells of a suicide attempt. "I went into my living room, reached into a cabinet above my TV and grabbed my gun, a loaded .22. I sat back, cocked it and put it into my mouth. I squinted my eyes and said, 'F--k this!' I pulled the trigger. But the gun didn't go off," he said.
He also said that despite almost a decade of sobriety, he knew he could relapse at any time. "I'm 34 now, and it's been nine and a half years since I've had a drink or taken drugs. But every day I have to remind myself that no matter how much time I have behind me, I'm still a drug addict. At any given moment, I'm five seconds away from walking up to someone, grabbing their drink out of their hand and downing it. And if I do that, within a week, tops, I'll be smoking crack. So even though I have this crazy fabulous life, I have to hold on to the ground, gripping the grass with both hands."
In the hours following his death, friends and admirers took to Twitter to remember his talents. See their thoughts here. Spinner reports that rapper Q-Tip dedicated his set in San Francisco to AM on Friday night.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paramount won't let theaters screen 'Team America: World Police"
- 'The Interview' was originally scripted with fake country, fake leader's name
- Ex-'Sons of Guns' star Will Hayden indicted on rape charges
- ?Serial' finale: Sarah Koenig rests her case
- ?Cabaret' to go on tour beginning January 2016
- ?Arrow', ?Walking Dead', and more earn TV mid-season finale awards
- Extra Scoop: Jennifer Aniston's Extreme Movie Make-Under for ?Cake' Made Her ?Cranky'
- Baby News! Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Are Going to Be Parents
- ?The Biggest Loser' Trainers Offer Diet and Workout Tips for Surviving the Holidays
- Ben McKenzie Admits to Using Handcuffs in Bed With a Woman, Talks Dating Regrets
- Will The Interview Ever Be Released? Sony Pictures Posts New Seth Rogen, James Franco Trailer
- Jennifer Aniston Eats at the NYC Diner Where She Once Worked, Reconnects With Jackson Hole Boss