Oasis Bros. Hit Each Other in Anger, and Band's Leader Quits
By PopEater Staff Posted Aug 29th 2009 10:00AM
Oasis guitarist and leader Noel Gallagher has quit the band, casting doubt on the 'Wonderwall' group's future. In a statement on the band's Web site, Gallagher said he's leaving "with some sadness and great relief." The brothers have long had a volatile relationship, and it was reportedly a fight backstage on Friday that led to Noel's snap decision. The Good Times:
The band were due to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris on Friday, but fans were met with the following message instead: "As a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been canceled."
According to a Guardian report, the brothers were involved in a fight backstage minutes before they were scheduled to hit the stage. The brawl is said to have involved broken guitars.
Singer Amy McDonald was told by a festival promoter all about the fight, writing on her Twitter page: "Oasis canceled again with one minute to stage time!!! Liam smashed noels guitar, huuuge fight!"
Gallagher quickly released a statement sending "apologies to all the people who bought tickets" for the band's remaining shows in France, Italy, and Germany.
Liam recently cast doubt on the band's future as well in an interview with NME magazine. In it, he admitted the brothers rarely spoke and only saw each other on stage.
"He doesn't like me and I don't like him, that's it," Liam said.
The surrly band from Manchester was an integral part of the Britpop movement in the 1990s. Their hits include 'Wonderwall,' 'Supersonic' and 'Champagnge Supernova.' After a quick burst of hits in America, the band struggled to regain their footing here, but remained hugely popular in their native Britain.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber struggles with vocabulary, curses at court reporter during deposition
- '19 Kids and Counting' stars: We won't kiss until marriage
- ?True Detective' finale crashes HBO GO
- ?True Detective' finale review: Truth, justice, and the satisfying surprise of a happy ending
- ?Resurrection' series premiere react: In it for the long haul?
- ?True Detective' season finale: What happened? ? SPOILERS
- Is the Playboy Prince Engaged? See the Ring!
- Jennifer Aniston Says She Would Trade Bodies with? [Hint: It's a Supermodel]
- Cameron Diaz and Sharon Stone Talk with Oprah About Aging Gracefully