Michael Jackson's Birthday Prompts Parties, Awards
Though the tragic death of Michael Jackson was over two months ago, the entertainer's birthday was celebrated with light hearts across America. In Las Vegas, the King of Pop was posthumously awarded a star on the Palms Casino Resort's Walk of Fame. On the day Jackson would have turned 51, director Spike Lee threw a party in Brooklyn's Prospect Park, where fans turned out in the thousands despite pouring rain. In Mexico, fans hosted their own massive celebration, gathering in record numbers to honor the 'Thriller' singer with a mass dance extravaganza. Watch:
CBC News reports that 12,937 Jackson fans gathered in front of Mexico City's Monument of the Revolution to participate in a giant 'Thriller' dance, led by a Jackson impersonator. Organizers claim the event broke the world record for most people doing the dance, which the 'Guinness World Records' books will confirm in a week.
In Brooklyn, thousands gathered on the wet grass, NY Daily News reports, and danced to hits spanning Jackson's entire career, from his early days with the Jackson Five to his most recent songs.
"Fifty-one years ago, he was born into the world," said Lee, who directed Jackson's 'They Don't Care About Us' music video. "I'm like everybody else - somebody who loved his talent. We're here to celebrate Michael Jackson."
"I don't even remember life without him," '30 Rock' star Tracy Morgan said at the party. "Michael Jackson was everything."
For the singer's birthday, the borough of Brooklyn had one last gift - Borough President Marty Markowitz took the stage to declare Aug. 29 "Michael 'King of Pop' Jackson Memorial Day" in Brooklyn.
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- No background check done on Michael Jackson's doctor, lawyer says
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- Can 'Idol' Be Saved?
- LOOK: Bill Murray Is Not Impressed By Baby Who Doesn't Like Him Either
- WATCH: 'Scandal' Star Visits 'Criminal Minds' Finale
- ?Dancing With the Stars': Your Hidden Gems of the Season 16 Finals!
- ?The Bachelor's Funniest Moments': Bloopers, bugs, booze, and boobs
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Extra Scoop: Brad Pitt's Esquire Confession: ?I Have Very Few Friends'
- How You Can Help Victims of the Oklahoma City Twister
- Robert and Leslie Zemeckis Talk Burlesque at The Grove