Jason Mraz Is the King of the Singles
The oft-fedora-sporting singer-songwriter has broken a monumental record as his reggae-ish jam 'I'm Yours' has spent a staggering 71 weeks (that's almost 1.5 years, people) on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Trust us, you know the floaty little song. Here it is:
Mraz says that he's actually been playing the jammy tune during his concerts for about five years, and that he "noticed almost an immediate response to it and people really celebrated in a different way during that song ... By having those three years to jam to the song, it gave us the opportunity to do something simple, yet spirited," he tells the Associated Press
"And now of course, that we've been playing with people really owning it on the record, it's taken it to a whole new level," he said.
"I'm Yours" first charted in May 2008, hit No. 6 in September 2008 and has spent 71 weeks on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart. (The previous record-holder, LeAnn Rimes' late-1990s hit, "How Do I Live," lasted 69 weeks.) Mraz's tune also nominated for "Song of the Year" at this year's Grammy Awards.
Though the accomplishment is one the 32-year-old is proud of, he says it doesn't mean he's necessarily reached a milestone in his career.
Carlo Allegri/Getty Images
Scott Gries/Getty Images
Evan Agostini/Getty Images
Brad Barket/Getty Images
Jo Hale/Getty Images
Kiyoshi Ota/Getty Images
"I don't feel like I crossed a finish line. I don't feel like I've sweated for 70 weeks. I feel like the song is just doing its thing and it was a real gift," he said.
Mraz has spent the last two years on the road promoting his latest CD, the platinum-selling "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things." That time on tour has been documented to "Jason Mraz' Beautiful Mess - Live from Earth," a live CD/DVD out Nov. 10.
"Before we hang up our hats for the year, I thought it would be great to capture the concert in an adventurous style so that my grandmom can see what I've been up to for two years," he said with a laugh. "She doesn't like YouTube. She says the quality ain't that good."2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Ted Turner hospitalized in South America
- Taylor Swift befriends a Victoria's Secret beauty
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Back On? Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Spotted Together in Texas
- Meet the Hot Guys of ?Divergent'
- 'Hunger Games' Star Willow Shields Talks 'Mockingjay,' Working with Jennifer Lawrence
- Robin Thicke Steps Out Smiling Without His Wedding Ring in NYC: Picture
- Harry Shum Jr. Is Engaged! Glee Star Proposed to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara in Hawaii
- Jessica Simpson Shares Slim Selfie, Jared Leto Wonders If J. Law's Oscars Falls Are "a Bit of an Act": Top 5 Stories