Charlie Gibson Says So Long to 'News'
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 2nd 2009 12:09PM
In a very surprising move in the network news world, ABC 'World News' anchor Charlie Gibson is stepping down as the anchor of the popular broadcast. Diane Sawyer will be replacing him in the anchoring duties.
The New York Post broke the story on Wednesday, reporting that Gibson will continue to anchor 'World News' through the end of the year. Sawyer, 63, will then become the second female network news anchor, joining Katie Couric.
In an email obtained by RadarOnline.com, Gibson told his coworkers that "it has not been an easy decision to make. This has been my professional home for almost 35 years. And I love this news department, and all who work in it, to the depths of my soul."
Gibson goes on to say that 'World News' "is now operating at a very accelerated, but steady, cruising speed, and I think it is an opportune time for a transition - both for the broadcast and for me."
Gibson took the reigns of 'World News' in May of 2006 after various events sidelined the show's current co-anchors. Bob Woodruff was hit by a roadside bomb while covering the Iraq war, and Elizabeth Vargas's pregnancy eventually led to her quitting the broadcast altogether.
Gibson brought 'World News' to the top of the network news chain, maintaining the top ratings spot among the three for most of his tenure until recently. He closed each broadcast with his signature sign-off phrase, "I'm Charlie Gibson, and I hope you had a good day."
There's been no announcement on how 'Good Morning America,' which Sawyer anchors along with Chris Cuomo and Robin Roberts, will be affected by the move.
A Charlie Gibson 'World News' Highlight Reel
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lea Michele Releases First Single "Cannonball" from Debut Album Louder: Listen To Track
- Kate Winslet Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Boy With Husband Ned Rocknroll
- Paul Walker Was Happy Before Death, Said Life With Daughter Meadow Was "Perfect"
- Major Diss! Kandi Burruss’ Mom Reveals She Doesn’t Think ‘Manipulative’ Todd Tucker Is ‘The Right Man' For Her Daughter
- Demi Lovato couldn't go without cocaine for '30 minutes to an hour'
- 1980s Johnny Cash songs, never before heard, getting posthumous release
- Break Time: Bar Refaeli bares all for Elle Spain shoot