Kathy Griffin Struggles With Surgery, Diet
"I was told repeatedly, 'You would be pretty if it weren't for that nose. You'd work more if it weren't for that nose.' You would think I had a nose the size of Texas. I was young and impressionable and started to believe it, so I got a nose job," she told PEOPLE. And that was only the beginning.
During Griffin's big break on Brooke Shields' sitcom 'Suddenly Susan,' she felt pressure to slim down. "I lost 15 lbs. friggin fast in season 1. But being on television, I was never thin enough. [Being on TV] told me that clothes didn't come in anything larger than a four. That got to me," she said.
Griffin became obsessed with her weight taking back-to-back step aerobics classes, starving herself all day and then binging at night. And the diet pills she used were like, "full-on illegal speed," she joked. "I took it to lose weight, which is not very smart. I just felt three times as hungry afterward," she said.
ABC / YouTube
Tim Mosenfelder , Getty Images
FilmMagic / Getty Images
WireImage / Getty Images
Getty Images / WireImage
Timothy Norris, Getty Images
Finally, Griffin decided to go under the knife for liposuction. But complications from the procedure nearly killed her. "I want women to know that this is what lipo looks like. Like, are you sure you don't want to just work out a little more?"
"What I can't figure out is why I wasted time worrying about my looks. I am a comedian. I'm not on the runway in Milan. Believe it or not, people don't come to see me really thinking I'm going to look like Jennifer Aniston," she said.
Today, Griffin is 5 feet 3 inches tall and 115 lbs. "Staying in shape is a struggle. I struggle with it every day. I just came from a very healthy lunch but the whole time I was having the healthy lunch I wished I was having cupcakes. It's not a simple thing. I have to watch what I eat and I have to work out quite a bit," Griffin said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jeremy Roloff Marries Audrey Mirabella Botti: Little People, Big World Wedding Photo
- Polly Bergen Dead: Actress and Singer Dies at 84
- George Clooney Will Wear Giorgio Armani Tux to Wed Amal Alamuddin
- New Shocker: Bruce Jenner Appears To Wear Spanx For Golf Outing SEE The Jaw-Dropping Photos
- Kim's Worst Nightmare: Racy Naked Selfies Of Kardashian Leak Online
- Polly Bergen, versatile actress, singer dies at 84
- Report: Avril Lavigne and Nickelback's Chad Kroeger are splitting up
- Lady Gaga says she's 'very happy' and sober
- 6 Things We Were Obsessed With While Watching Beyoncé and Jay Z's On the Run HBO Special
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana Pole Dances at the Airport With Husband Marco Perego—See the Hilarious Video!
- Little People, Big World Star Jeremy Roloff Marries Audrey Botti—Get the Details on Their Farm Wedding!