Russell Crowe Challenges Writer to a Duel
Crowe, who has been photographed looking slimmer in recent months, was apparently none too pleased by a column published in Sydney's The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday entitled "Smokes and fatty foods the fitness regime for Rusty."
The paper mocked Crowe after he was photographed pausing during a recent bike ride with his personal trainer to puff on a cigarette and chow down on three tacos and a soft drink.
In a story published Friday, the paper said Crowe's spokesman called up gossip columnist Annette Sharp the next day and said, "Get on your bike. Russell wants you to go riding with him. Are you ready to die?"
Sharp accepted the challenge and the pair met a dawn for a 12-mile (20-kilometer) ride through the city. Video of the race shows Sharp struggling to keep up while Crowe zooms along unfazed. At one point, Sharp fell off her bike.
Still, Crowe gave Sharp some credit, telling her she was a better biker than Australian director Baz Luhrmann. "You're twice the man Baz is," he said.
Crowe's manager Grant Vandenberg had no comment. "I think everything's been said in the paper," he said.
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Sister Wives' family cites gay marriage ruling in polygamy case
- Lady Antebellum taking a break after current tour
- Christina Milian's newborn nephew dies
- Watch NBC's First Promo for 'The Wiz' Live
- Jesse Owens Biopic 'Race' Moves Up to Winter Release
- Retail Report: Rebecca Minkoff's Tech-Savvy L.A. Flagship Opens
- 'Galaxy Quest' TV Series Coming to Amazon
- All 31 MTV 'VMA' Video of the Year Winners, Ranked From Worst to Best
- Here's the First Look at Michael Fassbender in 'Assassin's Creed'