Ellen DeGeneres Taking Paula Abdul's Empty 'Idol' Seat
"I'm thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol.' I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote," DeGeneres says.
But Ellen isn't abandoning her talk show. "I'm going to have a day job and a night job. The times we're living in ... we're all doing that."
Watch Ellen Make Her Big Announcement
'Idol' executive producer Simon Fuller is pleased with the decision to hire DeGeneres.
"I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the 'American Idol' family. Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can't wait for this next season to begin," Fuller says.
Abdul announced in August via Twitter that she would not be returning to her judging role on 'Idol.' Many reports cite a salary dispute as the reason she left the show, with some estimates saying she asked for $10 million per season but did not get an offer that high. She's since been tapped to host VH1's 'Divas' concert on 9/17, and her name has been floated for other reality judging roles.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jessica Simpson Models Her Insanely Toned Legs in Mega-Fringed Minidress: See Her Sexy, Throwback Style!
- Jay Leno Recalls Awkward Story With Bachelorette Trista Sutter, One of His Worst Guests Ever
- Lauren Scruggs Recalls Tragic Plane Accident Before Jason Kennedy Wedding -- Watch
- Oakland Raiders' Menelik Watson Donates Paycheck to 4-Year-Old Girl Battling Heart Condition
- Olivia Wilde's Post-Baby Bikini Body Is Seriously Out of Control—See for Yourself!
- Miley Cyrus DJs a Party in Festive Nipple Pasties and Tinsel Wig, Snaps Seductive Pics in Elf Costume