Ellen DeGeneres Taking Paula Abdul's Empty 'Idol' Seat
"I'm thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol.' I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote," DeGeneres says.
But Ellen isn't abandoning her talk show. "I'm going to have a day job and a night job. The times we're living in ... we're all doing that."
Watch Ellen Make Her Big Announcement
'Idol' executive producer Simon Fuller is pleased with the decision to hire DeGeneres.
"I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the 'American Idol' family. Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can't wait for this next season to begin," Fuller says.
Abdul announced in August via Twitter that she would not be returning to her judging role on 'Idol.' Many reports cite a salary dispute as the reason she left the show, with some estimates saying she asked for $10 million per season but did not get an offer that high. She's since been tapped to host VH1's 'Divas' concert on 9/17, and her name has been floated for other reality judging roles.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake Kisses Pregnant Jessica Biel's Bare Baby Bump on 34th Birthday: Instagram Photo
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash
- Authorities review video of Suge Knight incident
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Victor Cruz Reveals When He's Getting Married, Promises Giant Wedding Won't Be a "Snoozefest"
- Kim Kardashian Thinks North West May Be "Annoyed" at All Her Kisses, but What About Their Snuggle Fests?
- Birthday Boy Justin Timberlake Confirms Wife Jessica Biel Is Expecting, Shares Cutest (and Biggest) Baby Bump Photo