Tierney Drops Show to Treat Cancer
Tierney announced on Thursday that she was dropping out of NBC's new series 'Parenthood' in order to treat the disease, of which she claims her doctors are optimistic about the outcome.
Tierney also had a major role on the most recent season of FX's 'Rescue Me.'
Watch Tierney in Recent Episode of 'Rescue Me'
Tierney's spokesperson released the following statement: "Maura Tierney regrets that she will not be able to continue her role on 'Parenthood' due to a conflict with the production schedule of the show and her breast cancer treatments. Ms. Tierney and her doctors remain confident that the outcome of her treatments will be positive. She is deeply disappointed that she will not be able to rejoin such a highly respected, talented, fun and funny group of actors and wishes to thank Jason Katims and NBC for their patience and support."
Tierney had filmed the pilot episode for the series, which was scheduled to premiere this month. But she was sidelined in July, after a tumor was found in her breast, requiring surgery. Production never resumed.
Another new series, the medical drama "Mercy," will premiere this fall instead.
"Parenthood," based on the 1989 movie that starred Steve Martin, is now set to debut midseason.
Tierney's role – that of a financially strapped single mother who returns home to her parents – is expected to be recast.
NBC expressed sadness at Tierney leaving the series, but added, "our main concern is for her quick and full recovery."
Tierney was a longrunning cast member of the NBC drama "ER."
Dominique Charriau, WireImage
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Michael Bezjian, WireImage
Bryan Bedder, Getty Images
John Shearer, WireImage
Jean-Paul Aussenard, WireImage
Jeff Vespa, WireImage
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jessica Simpson's Son Ace Knute Turns 2, Channels Harry Styles' Hair in Cute Photo
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner Were in Couples Therapy "For Years," Nearly Divorced Before
- Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson Set to Join Julia Roberts in Stellar Cast for New Movie Mother's Day
- Bella Thorne balances her career and being a teenager
- Lori Loughlin displays amazing abs at age 50
- Justin Bieber attends church conference in Sydney
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Lovely in Lace While Attending Broadway Play With Gal Pal in New York City
- Exclusive Photos—See the Veronica Mars Cast Reunite for a Great Cause!
- So Who's the Killer on MTV's Scream? The Cast and Showrunners Spill Dark Secrets about Ghostface