To Oprah, Whitney Recounts Drug-Filled Months Spent in Pajamas
Before Oprah Winfrey sat down with Whitney Houston for her first post-"crack is whack" interview, airing Monday, the talk host wanted to make sure the resurgent singer was up to the task. Her response? She wanted to "tell the truth" about her troubles, namely her high profile fall from R&B superstar to drug-using punchline.
Winfrey told Access Hollywood the interview "will leave you gasping," adding, "She does not blame her ex-husband Bobby Brown and she takes full responsibility for her engagement in drugs."
"At one point she says, 'I didn't get out of my pajamas for seven months'. She talks about doing the drugs and sitting in the house and the two of them going, 'What are we doing?'"
The intense interview comes as Houston enjoys strong record sales for her new album, 'I Look to You.' But despite her stature as a music industry titan, she apparently believed she needed to lower her standards to be with Brown.
"The thing most shocking to me is that Whitney tried to make herself smaller to fit in a marriage so the man could be bigger. How many women have done that? I deeply felt for her. She was trying to be the good wife. She really, truly loved him."
The 'I Will Always Love You' belter divorced Brown in 2007.
Winfrey has been promoting the Houston interview heavily in the past few days. Speaking with Diane Sawyer of 'Good Morning America' on Wednesday, Winfrey discovered Houston was "quite a different person" and "wanted to tell the truth."
"She gave it up," Winfrey told Sawyer. "She talked about difficulty in her marriage, how that started. She talked about the drugs, she talked about what drugs she was doing ... There wasn't a question I asked that she didn't answer."
Houston's last TV interview was in 2002, when she told Sawyer she makes "too much money to smoke crack. Crack is whack."
Evan Agostini, AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kelsey Grammer forgives sister's murderer but speaks out against his release
- Drew Barrymore speaks out after half-sister found dead
- Justin Bieber posts pic of Orlando Bloom crying
- Watch Vin Diesel say ?I am Groot' in French, Spanish, Mandarin, and more
- Elijah Wood on the celeb breakup he's still not over
- Other DC Comics characters we want on ?Arrow' and ?The Flash'
- Check Out Heidi Klum's Incredible $25-Million Mega Mansion!
- ?Bachelorette' Nick Viall: ?I Said What I Had to Say'
- ?True Blood' Star Anna Camp Dishes on Series Finale, Making 'Pitch Perfect 2'