Kanye Apologizes For Swift Debacle... But Is It Too Late?
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 14th 2009 07:33AM
Kanye West is "SOOOOO SORRY" for interrupting Taylor Swift at Sunday's VMAs. "I'm in the wrong for going on stage and taking away from her moment," he wrote. "Beyonce's video was the best of this decade . . . I'm sorry to my fans if I let you guys down . . . I'm sorry to my friends at MTV . . . I will apologize to Taylor," he wrote on his official blog. But celebrities are lashing out at the 'Stronger' singer for stealing Swift's moment. And judging by the photos below, it seems Kanye had a bit of liquid encouragement prior to his controversial crash.
"F--k u Kanye. It's like you stepped on a kitten," singer Katy Perry wrote on her Twitter during the show.
The first winner of the night, Swift won best female video but was cut off during her acceptance speech by the rapper, who took her microphone and announced that fellow nominee Beyonce had "one of the greatest videos of all time," in 'Single Ladies.' (Get the story.)
"I'm still very happy for Taylor," West wrote. "I really feel bad for Taylor and I'm sincerely sorry," West added.
Swift is taking it all in stride and still a little shocked by the whole ordeal. "I was standing on stage and I was really excited because I'd just won the award and then I was really excited because Kanye West was on stage," Swift said after the show to PEOPLE. "And then I wasn't excited anymore after that."
What's left now is to see if there's any major impact on West's career. Tracey Ford, editor of the hip-hop site The Boombox, says that Kanye isn't down for the count.
"Considering Kanye has already built a reputation as a loose cannon, I doubt his fans will turn against him for this debacle. As far as artists are concerned, Kanye would be the one person who could get away with a tirade like this without harming his career," says Ford.
Funny >> What If Kanye (and Not Rep. Wilson) Interrupted the Prez?
"It's certainly not the first time the he has lost his cool. It's almost his M.O. at this point. The entertainment industry may not forgive him for this particular rant, but Kanye has been the artist/rapper people love to hate for awhile now." More on West's Backstage Drama From Boombox >>>
MTV VMA Red Carpet 2009
See all of this year's fashion hits and misses at the MTV Video Music Awards! Radio City Music Hall New York, NY Sunday, Sept. 13, 2009
See All VMA Red Carpet Photos >>
See All VMA Red Carpet Photos >>
Michael Loccisano, Getty Images
Watch the ladies of PopEater discuss Kanye West's VMAs faux pas:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Blake Shelton scores as host and musical guest on 'SNL'
- A new Miss Universe will be crowned tonight in Miami
- 'American Sniper' continues box office dominance
- Inside EW's Screen Actors Guild Awards party
- ?The Lego Movie,' ?Birdman' nab Producers Guild of America Awards
- Ryan Reynolds Just Said What About Breastfeeding?
- Stephen Collins and Faye Grant Avoid Trial, Reach Divorce Settlement
- Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams Call It Quits
- Farrah Abraham Steps Out With New Boyfriend Simon Saran in Las Vegas After Lip Injection Scare: Pictures!
- Nikki Reed Talks Fiance Ian Somerhalder: "He's the Most Amazing Man That's Ever Walked the Planet"
- Full House Cast Reunites For Creator Jeff Franklin's Birthday: See Bob Saget, Lori Loughlin, John Stamos, More, Plus the Cast Sings the Theme Song!