Love It or Hate It, Everyone's Got an Opinion on Gaga Couture
Love them or hate them, Lady Gaga's fashion choices had tongues wagging at the MTV Video Music Awards at Radio City Music Hall last night. And let's be honest. Aside from Kanye West's temper tantrum, Gaga's sartorial selections were the most interesting part of the show.
"She has created a signature style that never fails to get people talking," explains Glamour.com "Slaves to Fashion" blogger, Tracey Lomrantz to PopEater. "Yes she's eccentric and absurd and sometimes a little gimmicky, but I think her fans can't wait to see what she does next with her look." Experts at New York's Fashion Week Weigh in on Gaga Couture >>>
Gaga strutted the red carpet in a black Victorian corset dress complete with a half-faced gold mask straight from the costume department of Phantom of the Opera. Bedecked in a feather encrusted neck piece and black lace hat she looked as if she was planning on attending the Phantom's funeral later in the evening.
'America's Next Top Model' judge Nigel Barker believes Gaga's crazy clothes could be a little alienating to her fans who prefer their idols to be a little more buttoned up (or even just to put on some clothes), but that doesn't mean she should conform. "I love people who do what they want to do and it is important that people make statements. Sure it may be a little alienating but that is fine because not everyone wants people copying them," Barker says.
Onstage, Gaga shed the prudish Victorian look and stripped to her skivvies with a combination of white knee high boots, a belly baring top and white underwear. As Gaga tends to do, she left her pants at home.
We can't think of any other inspiration for the outfit she wore while accepting her Best New Artist Awards than that of Carrie onstage on prom night after the little incident with the pig's blood. The red lace dress and full facial mask just evoked a night gone horribly wrong.
Starlet Amanda Bynes admitted she could never pull off a Gaga look, particularly the red lace, but she applauds it.
"I think she's amazing and so cool," Bynes told PopEater from the front row of the Jill Stuart fashion show today. "She has this amazing sense of creating fashion that is actually a work of art."
Gaga left the horror motif behind when she again changed in a Venus-on-the-half-shell meets Jane Jetson purple leotard to pose with her Moon Man statue.
So many pop stars these days look like they were manufactured at the pop star factory. "Seeing Lady Gaga on the red carpet is a refreshing reminder that creativity and originality and artistic expression are still very much alive and well in the music industry," Lomrantz said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Swift to hackers: I don't have nudes
- Texas high school's 'Uptown Funk' video goes viral
- ?Fantastic Four' debuts first trailer
- Jessica Chobot previews 2015's most exciting releases, from ?No Man's Sky' to ?Mad Max'
- ?Grim Fandango' creator Tim Schafer on the adventure-game revival
- Extra Scoop: We're Going to See Katie Holmes on TV Again!
- Mandy Moore May Have Hinted at Divorce on Instagram
- Taylor Swift's Reaction to 'Nude' Hacker Threat Is Priceless
- Tom Brady's High School Coach Reveals He Was Once Locked in a Locker in High School, Confirms He's Always Been That Hot
- Miss California USA Contestant Chanelle Riggan Suffers Bikini Malfunction During Pageant, Recovers Like a Pro
- Tiger Woods Gets His Tooth Fixed, Says "Even Breathing Hurt" After Camera Man Knocked It Out