Did Jay Leno 'Exploit' Kanye's Dead Mom?
>> Jay got all Oprah by asking Kanye what his late mother, Dr. Donda West who passed away in 2007, would have thought about the outburst. "Would she be disappointed in this? Would she give you a lecture?" Jay asked with a brotherly knee tap. "Jay asking about Kanye's mom was a VERY cheap shot -- and Kanye's reaction made it clear that he thought so too. But since he was in apology mode he had to take a second and not say what he was really thinking which was probably 'how dare you exploit my mother's death,'" Cooper Lawrence, radio host and the author of 'The Cult of Celebrity,' told PopEater. 'It made Kanye appear more sympathetic and Jay less so. You saw the hurt little boy who lost his mommy."
>> But we have to wonder whether or not Kanye's camp told Jay to broach the subject of mama to give Kanye a set-up for his excuse. "Kanye did seem sufficiently rattled by the question so that it didn't look like a plant. But I'm really cynical when it comes to this celebrity stuff, so as much as I'd like to believe that it wasn't a plant, it probably was," Gawker.com's Brian Moylan told PopEater. "Jay's mom bait gave Kanye the perfect way to look sympathetic, and lead right into 'I'm still sad cause my mom died' defense."
>> For some reason, celebrity apologies these days always include "taking a break" or "going to rehab" in their apologies. In 2007 'Grey's Anatomy' star Isaiah Washington checked into a treatment center for psychological evaluation following his anti-gay slur against co-star T.R. Knight. And in 2006 Mel Gibson went to rehab after blaming an anti-Semitic rant on alcohol. If only we regular people could take a little break every time we flip off the guy who cuts us off on the highway or tell our best friend her hair looks like crap.
Shareif Ziyadat, FilmMagic
Lester Cohen, Wire Image
Gustavo Caballero, Getty Images
Getty Images (2)
Mike Marsland, Getty Images
Noel Vasquez, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Jeff Kravitz, FilmMagic.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?Game Of Thrones' stars get big pay raise
- Garth Brooks to give fans sneak peek of new album on Halloween
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Extra Scoop: Did Teresa Giudice Spend $10K on Daughter's Music Video?
- Big Change Announced for ?The View'? Are There More Shakeups Ahead?
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Designs from Adrianna Papell
- Kris Jenner Feels Betrayed By Bruce Jenner; Brittany Maynard Pushes Back Death Date: Top 5 Stories
- Prince William, Pregnant Kate Middleton Go on Babymoon With Prince George in Scotland -- Details
- Khloe Kardashian Celebrates 14 Million Instagram Followers With a Super Sexy Booty Snap -- See the Pic!