'Laugh-In,' Film Actor Henry Gibson Dies
Beginning with a role in 'The Nutty Professor' in 1963, Gibson worked steadily until just last year. His big break arrived in 1968 when he began a 3-year stint on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In,' where each week he would hold a flower and read a poem.
The rest of the 1960s and 1970s were spent working on acclaimed TV shows, including 'Love, American Style,' and more meaty film projects like Robert Altman's 1975 country music opus, 'Nashville,' for which Gibson earned a Golden Globes nomination.
In 1980, he played an Illinois Nazi going after a pair of soul-singing louts in 'The Blues Brothers' and later in the decade played the villainous neighbor in Tom Hanks' hit 'The Burbs.'
Other memorable films include a 'Gremlins' sequel, Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia,' and most recently a turn as a clergyman who gets an earful from Vince Vaughn in 'Wedding Crashers.'
Until last year, he carried on a recurring role on 'Boston Legal.'
Born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., Gibson began acting professionally at age 8. He is survived by his wife and three sons.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
Getty Images / AP
Television Broadcasts Limited / AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian's selfie book 'Selfish' didn't sell
- Kelly Osbourne's comments on 'The View' offend
- Designer Arnold Scaasi dies at 85
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Villain on Finale's "Shocker" Charles Reveal, Ali's Family Mysteries
- 'Grey's Anatomy's' Shonda Rhimes Explains Her Decision to Kill McDreamy
- Style Notes: Idris Elba Is First Lone Male on a 'Maxim' Cover; 'Tiger Beat' Nabs Big Name Investors
- Recap of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 6 Episode 9: Prom Night, Prom Fright!
- 22 Best Spy Movies on Netflix Streaming
- 'Lion King' Animator Posts Tribute Image of Cecil the Lion