'Laugh-In,' Film Actor Henry Gibson Dies
Beginning with a role in 'The Nutty Professor' in 1963, Gibson worked steadily until just last year. His big break arrived in 1968 when he began a 3-year stint on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In,' where each week he would hold a flower and read a poem.
The rest of the 1960s and 1970s were spent working on acclaimed TV shows, including 'Love, American Style,' and more meaty film projects like Robert Altman's 1975 country music opus, 'Nashville,' for which Gibson earned a Golden Globes nomination.
In 1980, he played an Illinois Nazi going after a pair of soul-singing louts in 'The Blues Brothers' and later in the decade played the villainous neighbor in Tom Hanks' hit 'The Burbs.'
Other memorable films include a 'Gremlins' sequel, Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia,' and most recently a turn as a clergyman who gets an earful from Vince Vaughn in 'Wedding Crashers.'
Until last year, he carried on a recurring role on 'Boston Legal.'
Born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., Gibson began acting professionally at age 8. He is survived by his wife and three sons.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
Getty Images / AP
Television Broadcasts Limited / AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- MTV prepared for Miley Cyrus, will air VMAs on a delay
- 1st African-American actor to play Jean Valjean on Broadway dies
- ‘The Good Wife's' Christine Baranski talks Emmys, season 7 excitement
- Netflix to Part Ways With Epix in September
- Watch THR's Drama Writers Roundtable With Lee Daniels, Damon Lindelof and More
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' Uniform Heading to Auction
- Fergie & Josh\'s \'Little Maverick\'
- Bieber Kisses Britney (Sort Of)
- Taylor & Avril Sing 'Complicated'
- Weekend Box Office: 'Compton' Rules Again, 'War Room' Surprises
- Celebrities Who Are Best Friends IRL
- Quiz: Match the Al Pacino Movie With His Screaming Face