'Laugh-In,' Film Actor Henry Gibson Dies
Beginning with a role in 'The Nutty Professor' in 1963, Gibson worked steadily until just last year. His big break arrived in 1968 when he began a 3-year stint on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In,' where each week he would hold a flower and read a poem.
The rest of the 1960s and 1970s were spent working on acclaimed TV shows, including 'Love, American Style,' and more meaty film projects like Robert Altman's 1975 country music opus, 'Nashville,' for which Gibson earned a Golden Globes nomination.
In 1980, he played an Illinois Nazi going after a pair of soul-singing louts in 'The Blues Brothers' and later in the decade played the villainous neighbor in Tom Hanks' hit 'The Burbs.'
Other memorable films include a 'Gremlins' sequel, Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia,' and most recently a turn as a clergyman who gets an earful from Vince Vaughn in 'Wedding Crashers.'
Until last year, he carried on a recurring role on 'Boston Legal.'
Born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., Gibson began acting professionally at age 8. He is survived by his wife and three sons.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
Getty Images / AP
Television Broadcasts Limited / AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bob Costas didn't get pink eye from bad Botox, NBC insists
- Miley Cyrus blasts Katy Perry over kiss diss
- Isaiah Washington returning to ?Grey's Anatomy' seven years after controversial departure
- Lena Dunham on 'SNL' 'Girls' Parody: 'One of the Best Things That's Ever Happened To Me'
- Jonathan Groff on 'Looking' Season Finale, and 'Let It Go' as the Ultimate Earworm (Q&A)
- Syfy's 'Sharknado 2' Sets Premiere Date, Cameos (Exclusive)
- President Obama misspells Aretha Franklin's hit song ?Respect'
- Kanye West and Big Sean join Rick Ross on ?The Arsenio Hall Show' ? VIDEO
- Lena Headey Facts: 15 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the '300' Star
- 'Noah' Is Already Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Jude Law Is Close to Joining Melissa McCarthy's Already Star-Packed 'Susan Cooper'