'Laugh-In,' Film Actor Henry Gibson Dies
Beginning with a role in 'The Nutty Professor' in 1963, Gibson worked steadily until just last year. His big break arrived in 1968 when he began a 3-year stint on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In,' where each week he would hold a flower and read a poem.
The rest of the 1960s and 1970s were spent working on acclaimed TV shows, including 'Love, American Style,' and more meaty film projects like Robert Altman's 1975 country music opus, 'Nashville,' for which Gibson earned a Golden Globes nomination.
In 1980, he played an Illinois Nazi going after a pair of soul-singing louts in 'The Blues Brothers' and later in the decade played the villainous neighbor in Tom Hanks' hit 'The Burbs.'
Other memorable films include a 'Gremlins' sequel, Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia,' and most recently a turn as a clergyman who gets an earful from Vince Vaughn in 'Wedding Crashers.'
Until last year, he carried on a recurring role on 'Boston Legal.'
Born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., Gibson began acting professionally at age 8. He is survived by his wife and three sons.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
Getty Images / AP
Television Broadcasts Limited / AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alyssa Milano: I love my stretch marks
- Ringo Starr: Paul McCartney helped me get into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Cote de Pablo and Diego Boneta talk steamy 'sensual' scenes in 'Dovekeepers'
- Jimmy Kimmel's "Don't Talk Into This Mic" Game Succeeds At Tricking People
- Lionsgate to Launch Specialty Film Division
- 'Daily Show' Correspondent Aasif Mandvi: Why Trevor Noah Should Get Off Social Media Altogether
- Now You Have No Excuse to Miss 'It Follows'
- What's So Special About Being Part of the 'Fast & Furious' Family? EVERYTHING. (VIDEO)
- Can You Match These 15 Stars to Their Animated Characters?