'Laugh-In,' Film Actor Henry Gibson Dies
Beginning with a role in 'The Nutty Professor' in 1963, Gibson worked steadily until just last year. His big break arrived in 1968 when he began a 3-year stint on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In,' where each week he would hold a flower and read a poem.
The rest of the 1960s and 1970s were spent working on acclaimed TV shows, including 'Love, American Style,' and more meaty film projects like Robert Altman's 1975 country music opus, 'Nashville,' for which Gibson earned a Golden Globes nomination.
In 1980, he played an Illinois Nazi going after a pair of soul-singing louts in 'The Blues Brothers' and later in the decade played the villainous neighbor in Tom Hanks' hit 'The Burbs.'
Other memorable films include a 'Gremlins' sequel, Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia,' and most recently a turn as a clergyman who gets an earful from Vince Vaughn in 'Wedding Crashers.'
Until last year, he carried on a recurring role on 'Boston Legal.'
Born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., Gibson began acting professionally at age 8. He is survived by his wife and three sons.
Kevin Winter, Getty Images
Susan Sterner, AP
Paul Natkin, WireImage
Jim Smeal, WireImage
Barry King, WireImage
Getty Images / AP
Television Broadcasts Limited / AP
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alec Baldwin avoids arrest after scuffle with photographer
- Nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence leaked online by hacker
- 'Star Wars' actors tight lipped about upcoming movie
- 'The Maze Runner' Rules Revealed in New Featurette
- 'Foxcatcher': Steve Carell's Chilling Mission Statement Triggers a Chant in New Trailer
- Why We Won't See Screech's Suspenders in 'The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story'
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Summer Box Office 2014: What Went Wrong?
- The Cast of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Does the Baby Groot Dance (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Great TV Series Finale?