Musician Recovers From Stage Collapse
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Sep 19th 2009 09:02AM
Leonard Cohen is recovering after collapsing onstage while on tour in eastern Spain, his music company said Saturday. He has been released from hospital after suffering from a stomach complaint, Doctor Music Concerts said in a statement. Cohen was part-way through his song 'Bird on the Wire' in Valencia when he fainted, causing the band to stop playing to rush to his aid as concertgoers watched. The concert was stopped.
A video showing Cohen kneeling down several times during the performance and then keeling over sideways during a saxophone solo has been placed on YouTube on the Web by a fan.
The Canadian-born musician, who will be 75 years-old on Monday, was taken in an ambulance to the Nueve de Octubre hospital in Valencia but released early Saturday, Barcelona-based Doctor Music Concerts said.
Cohen was due to perform the last show of his Spanish tour at the Palau Sant Jordi concert hall in northeastern Barcelona on Monday. Trucks carrying Cohen's show had arrived at the hall on Saturday morning and were to set up as normal, a spokesman for the concert hall said.
Cohen had to come out of retirement five years ago when he discovered that most of his retirement fund had disappeared in a disputed case of mismanagement.
After leaving Spain Cohen was due to perform next at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on Oct. 17, his Web site said.
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Is ?Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom' a good way to learn about the life of Nelson Mandela?
- Carrie Undewood tweets Bible verse in response to critics
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on ?Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- Grammy Nominations 2014: Jay Z, Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis Top the List
- Twerkin' on Santa? Miley Cyrus Not Nice in Naughty Jingle Ball Performance
- Vin Diesel Shares Heartbreaking Moment with Paul Walker's Mother