Emmy Fashion Showdown: Blake Lively vs. Leighton Meester
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 21st 2009 12:55PM
There was no doubt about who was the 'Gossip Girl ' Queen Bee of the Emmy red carpet. Sorry B., it looks like S. trumped you again. See expert opinion on just how Blake Lively shined brighter than Leighton Meester on TV's big night after the jump. >>>
Blake Lively was every style maven's favorite lady at last night's awards show. Her daring red Versace gown even had Ryan Seacrest salivating. "Blake Lively coming next in amazing dress Versace OMG," Seacrest tweeted in anticipation of getting up close and personal with the starlet.
The scarlet's slashed-to-the-waist embellished gown had a deep cut out back with a high riding front slit. Lively carefully accessorized with nude Christian Louboutin heels and simple Lorraine Schwartz diamond jewels.
"Blake utilized the jewelry to keep focus on her uber-sexy, skin-baring dress. She picked very elegant, sophisticated jewels like the diamond multi-layered bracelet and small earrings. Blake kept the focus on the legs, and the dress' plunging neckline," jewelry designer Kim Rittberg of Kritt Jewelry told PopEater.
That plunging neckline could have had Lively riding the train to slutty town, but stylists say Blake kept it classy with the low-key hair and makeup.
"Her face was clean and her hair was modern. She was glowing and her skin looked immaculate. She could have put that dress over the top with aggressive lip or eye makeup and overdone hair but keeping it simple made her really look her age. An overdone hair-do in that dress would have made it an eighties looking style disaster," style expert Mary Alice Stephenson tells us.
Speaking of disaster, fellow Gossip Girl Meester's vampire chic look fell flat with style experts. They say her white Bottega Veneta goddess gown, paired with dramatic hair and makeup, made her look like a wax figure of Leighton Meester rather than the real thing when put next to the fresh-faced Lively.
"Leighton could have gone Grecian or Old Hollywood with that dress. But apparently she opted for crazy granny instead," style expert Jenn Falik tells PopEater. "The hair was windblown and not in the good 'look how breezy yet beautiful I can be' way, Her red lipstick shade was a little off, and the red clutch paired with the green earrings felt a little Christmas-y."
So how can two ladies from the same show go in such different directions? Isn't there some kind of locker room on the GG set where all the girls compare pre-party notes?
The answer is a definite nope.
PopEater's 'Gossip Girl' insiders explained that first of all, Blake and Leighton aren't exactly the best of friends to begin with. And even if they were bosom buddies, in the cut-throat world of red carpet style, stars rarely reveal to anyone who or what they are wearing until America actually sees them emerge from their limos on Emmy night.
"The truth of the matter is most actresses are so busy they aren't chatting about what they're going to wear and most of the time they don't even know what they are going to wear until the very last minute," Stephenson explained.
Added Samantha Marcus Yanks, fashion director of Gotham, Hamptons and L.A. Confidential magazines: "Seems the only talking these two ladies did, was that there would be some red in their looks. What resulted was the angel and the devil."
'Gossip Girl' Cast
Blake Lively stunned on the Emmys Red Carpet with a gown from Versace with Louboutins and Lorraine Schwartz gems. See More Pics of Blake, Leighton and More >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Lindsay Lohan and her brother being sued for $60 million
- J-Lo admits Ben Affleck broke her heart
- Three very big secrets from the set of ?The Big Bang Theory'
- Happy Halloween! Check Out Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, Justin Bieber and More Stars in Costume!
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!