Google Rankings War: How the West Won
By Melissa Daniels Posted Sep 21st 2009 02:30PM
Ellen DeGeneres replacing Paula Abdul on 'American Idol', Kanye West's interruption of Taylor Swift and the start of brand new fall television shows, there's plenty to Google about. Using Google Trends, we looked at who's been drawing more online interest in the month of September compared to their controversial counterparts. First up ...
Taylor Swift vs. Kanye West
While interest in Swift immediately skyrocketed after the VMAs, so did interest in West. Looks like his interruption of her acceptance speech was good for both of them, although Swift's solid subway performance and ability to exhibit grace under pressure may have had something to do with it, too.
Ellen DeGeneres vs. Paula Abdul
Millions of 'American Idol' fans were shocked to discover that talk show host Ellen DeGeneres would be replacing Paula Abdul on the judging panel. So shocked, that when the decision was announced on September 10, she was Googled about three times more than her predecessor.
Glee vs. Flash ForwardOne of this fall's hottest television shows, 'Glee,' has stayed up in interest since it's debut -- a very good sign for Fox's prime time lineup. But NBC's 'Flash Forward' seems like a mere murmur in comparison. We'll see if interest picks up after it's September 24 debut.
September 9 was a great day for music fans, specifically Beatles fans (and, really, who isn't?). Digitally remastered albums became available, and the release of The Beatles Rock Band meant more Web users Googling the Fab Four to check out the goods.
Beatles vs. Beatles Rock Band
Beatles vs. Beatles Rock Band
Jay Leno vs. David LettermanThe day after Jay Leno debuted his new show on September 14, he became five times more Googled than his former late night time slot counterpart, David Letterman. Part of the spike may have been due to Kanye West's appearance and apology -- not a bad first night for Leno.
Lady Gaga vs. MadonnaNot only did Lady Gaga's performance and Best New Artist win cement her into VMA history Sunday night, but it helped her expand her audience, too. The search volume for Gaga is more than twice that of another VMA history-maker, Madonna.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Reality polygamy family says 'It's like coming out of the closet' doing the show
- Raunchy Johnny Carson sex tape reportedly being shopped around
- Juan Pablo could be the most detested bachelor in history of show
- ?Cosmos' then and now: The ?personal voyage' of Carl Sagan, the Hollywood cool of Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Matthew McConaughey Spoofed on Saturday Night Live by Taran Killam: Watch the Hilarious Sketch Here
- Mila Kunis Flashes Gigantic Engagement Ring From Ashton Kutcher During Night Out: Picture
- Lena Dunham Stars in Saturday Night Live Scandal Spoof as Awkward New Gladiator Kelsey: Watch the Video Here