Excuses, Excuses: Do Stars Think We Are Buying Them?
By Jo Piazza Posted Sep 23rd 2009 08:00PM
Enough with the excuses! Why are celebrities such dirty liars these days? This week David Hasselhoff blamed an ear infection for a hospital stay that was the rumored result of a vodka bender. The Hoff's camp claims he wasn't drinking at all. In fact he was rushed to the hospital because he just couldn't stand up due to the side effects from an ear medication called Antivert. Seriously? This summer Mischa Barton's rep blamed her admission to a psych ward on a wisdom tooth operation gone horribly wrong, amid rumors of drug use and suicide attempts. A bad tooth ache makes all of us a little batty, but come on.
We understand the impulse to cover up bad behavior, but these excuses seem to really be stretching it. Do celebs think their fans are stupid?
Image control through strategic lying is obviously nothing new. Remember when Jeremy Piven bailed on his role in 'Speed the Plow' on Broadway because of suspected Mercury poisoning, Ashlee Simpson Wentz blamed her 'Saturday Night Live' lip synching on acid reflux or when Britney Spears collapsed at a club on New Years Eve because she was "tired?" Our personal favorite is the time Winona Ryder shoplifted to research to a role in the movie 'Shopgirl.'
"You can usually tell a celebrity's big, fat lie when the excuses get more and more ridiculous. David Hasselhoff's 'earache' excuse is just so ludicrous that he should have taken it a step further and said his ear had exploded. That at least would have been more entertaining," Star magazine senior reporter Suzanne Rozdeba reveals to PopEater.
So come off it guys. These days the truth always comes out in the end. Crisis control guru Rebecca Brooks says the time has come for celebs to just admit when they screw up. "Making excuses, blaming others and lying are not acceptable anymore. Telling the truth makes a famous person more human," said Brooks, President of The Brooks Group PR (brookspr.com ). Not only are fans smart, but with technology - from camera phones, twitter, etc... - the truth comes out and no one respects a liar."
Now Entering CelebRehab
Burt Reynolds has checked himself into rehab, after back surgery left him struggling with an addiction to painkillers.
Lester Cohen, WireImage
Lester Cohen, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gerard Depardieu says he can drink 12-14 bottles of wine a day
- Out of their league: Ugly guys who date bombshells
- James Franco tells AOL to stop censoring his work
- ?Friday Night Lights' director says his son won't be playing football
- Billy Crystal and Jimmy Fallon reminisce about Robin Williams
- Video: Melissa Rivers Shares the President's Touching Message About Joan
- Is Rosie O'Donnell Calling It Quits on 'The View'?
- Kaley Cuoco Officially Debuts Blonder, Shaggier Pixie Cut on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Teresa Giudice Gets Thrown In Nicole Napolitano's Line of Fire on Upcoming Real Housewives of New Jersey: Exclusive Clip
- Nicole Kidman Delivers Eulogy at Dad Antony's Funeral: He Helped Me Through Tom Cruise Split, Was "On a Plane Hours After" Divorce