Goldberg Rips Somers for Swayze Quotes
By PopEater Staff Posted Sep 23rd 2009 03:37PM
Whoopi Goldberg put Suzanne Somers' comments regarding the death of actor Patrick Swayze in her crosshairs on 'The View' on Wednesday, lashing out at the actress for recent comments in which she hinted that chemotherapy and not cancer is what killed the 'Dirty Dancing' star. Somers took to her blog to defend herself, saying she had no idea she was speaking to a reporter at the time, and that having gone through cancer herself, she'd never say anything hurtful toward Swayze or his family. What Whoopi Said After the Jump >>>
Somers was recently quoted as saying doctors "took this beautiful man and they basically put poison in him. Why couldn't they have built him up nutritionally and gotten rid of the toxins in his body?" She has since on her Web site for the comment, saying that she "was not informed or aware" that she was being interviewed "with someone who never identified himself as a reporter." She continued, saying she would have "never have been so insensitive as to offer a public statement so close to his untimely passing."
Despite Somers' apology, Goldberg said on 'The View: "In case she doesn't know, Patrick did everything and went everywhere to try and stay healthy as long as he could. That he's been gone a week and this statement came out is bad timing and bad taste and Suzanne, you know better."
Goldberg, who starred alongside Swayze in the hit film 'Ghost,' went on to say that she's "not sure that's not what you meant to do, but you should have thought about it," referring to Somers and the comment.
In her blog post, Somers says that "having had cancer myself, I know firsthand the pain and suffering heaped on patient and family ... In Toronto, I was thinking out loud and wishing for a different outcome for this beautiful man and his devoted wife. Patrick and his family fought courageously and with integrity right to the end. I know that every choice made in this devastating situation was made with love and care."
Swayze died on September 14 after a nearly 2 year battle with pancreatic cancer. He left behind his wife of 34 years, Lisa Niemi, with whom he shared his greatest and saddest moments. Flip through the gallery for classic photos and quotes from the couple >>
Patrick & Lisa: A Love Story
A 19-year-old Swayze met Lisa Niemi in 1970 at his mother's dance studio and she immediately brought the cocky hunk and his ego down to earth. "She didn't buy any of my nonsense," he's said of their early days. "We spent half our dates in total silence as she wouldn't talk to me if she thought I was putting on an act." Five years later they were married.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- CBS cuts 'CSI' season short
- Pretty stars who go gritty on film
- Trisha Yearwood set to appear on 'Nashville' during faux CMA awards
- Taylor Swift Stops Traffic on Hollywood Boulevard, Performs Late-Night Gig
- Pippa Middleton Shares Her Diet and Workout Secrets, Reveals How She Got Her Famous Backside in Shape
- Brad Pitt Does Hilarious Between Two Ferns Interview With Zach Galifianakis; Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Future In Jeopardy Amid Sex Offender Report: Top 5 Stories
- Ebola In NYC! Doctor Tests Positive For Virus After Treating Patients In Guinea
- Lucky Break! Former ?RHONJ' Star Danielle Staub Gets $700K In Liens Cancelled In Bankruptcy Case
- Mean Girl! Kim Kardashian Snubs Chris Brown’s ‘Lowbrow’ Girlfriend Karrueche Tran