Casting a New 'Oz' on the Anniversary
By Mike Hess Posted Sep 24th 2009 11:59PM
Seventy years ago this week, the film world changed forever with the release of 'The Wizard of Oz.' The classic film still stands the test of time despite its 1939 release, but since remakes are all the rage these days, it got us thinking about who would be great in different 'Oz' roles. So, we're leaving it up to you to pick who should be cast for each prominent role in the film. After the jump, our top 4 choices for each role for you to decide on!
Recasting one of the most iconic female roles in Hollywood history isn't easy. So, to make things a bit easier, we narrowed it down by choosing brunette actresses who we know are double-threats when it comes to singing and acting.
Our Favorite: Anne Hathaway
When casting The Lion, we were really going for actors who not only look the part, but would also be able to produce the goofy-yet-lovable courage-less feline.
Our Favorite: Matt Damon
We're hoping there have been some great, less toxic advances in makeup since 1939, as the original silver stuff almost killed actor Buddy Ebsen. Here, we went with lanky, tall fellows with a funny bone.
Our Favorite: Paul 'Pee Wee' Reubens
The Scarecrow role is all about being limber, boisterous and strong enough to lead the crew down the Yellow Brick Road. You've gotta have poise, charm and some serious acting chops to pull this one off.
Our Favorite: Daniel Day-Lewis (But c'mon, Quentin Tarantino would be hysterical)
The Wicked Witch
We spanned both younger and older Hollywood for this role, as it's really more attitude than looks. All of these accomplished actresses would be great on a broomstick with a flying monkey army.
Our Favorite: Meryl Streep
Sure, it's probably the least amount of screentime in the film, but for The Wizard, we were thinking big. A massive personality needs to be the man behind the curtain.
Our Favorite: Bill Murray
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Dancing with the Stars:' Maksim Chmerkovskiy won't return as a dancer
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' promotional tweet criticized for 9/11 resemblance
- 'Deadliest Catch's' Keith Colburn: Washington politics hurt my business
- CNN Overtakes MSNBC in July as Ratings Take a Hit
- Nickelodeon Orders '100 Things to Do' Comedy From 'Big Time Rush' Creator
- 'The Longest Week' Trailer: Jason Bateman and Olivia Wilde's Secret Romance (Video)
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler