Stepmoms Deny Phillips' Incest Claims
Not true, say two of John Phillips' ex-wives. According to an Access Hollywood report, both Genevieve Waite Phillips and Michelle Phillips condemn the allegations as pure fiction.
"I am stunned by Mackenzie's terrible allegations about her father," Genevieve Phillips, who was married to John during the time of the alleged affair, said in a statement to Oprah on Wednesday. "I would often complain to John about her overly familiar attitude towards him and he would tell me that that was just her way. John was a good man who had the disease of alcoholism and drug addiction. He was incapable, no matter how drunk or drugged he was, of having such a relationship with his own child."
The Mamas and the Papas singer Michelle Phillips, who married John in 1962, claims that Mackenzie revealed the affair in 1997 - but told her stepmom she was joking. "She called me back and said, 'You know I'm joking,'" Michelle told The Hollywood Reporter. "I said it wasn't funny. Mackenzie said, 'I guess we have different senses of humor.'"
Jeffrey Mayer, WireImage
"John was a bad parent, and a drug addict. But [slept with] his daughter? If she thinks it's true, why isn't she with a good psychiatrist on a couch?" Michelle said. "I think it's unconscionable that Oprah would let her do her show. I have every reason to believe it's untrue. Oprah should be more judicious about who she has on her show.
She added, "Mackenzie has a lot of mental illness. She's had a needle stuck up her arm for 'Rehab' and now she writes a book. The whole thing is timed."Mackenzie's other family members are speaking out though and seem to support the claims that the "consensual" sexual relationship really did happen. Mackenzie's sister, Chynna Phillips recalls the moment when she found out about the affair.
"She said, 'I don't know why, but I just really felt the need to call you and tell you something that I think you need to know.' And she went on to tell me that she had had an incestuous relationship with our dad for about 10 years," Chynna told Usmagazine.com.
"Somebody could have dropped a piano on my head and I probably wouldn't have felt it. But I knew it was true. I mean, who in their right mind would make such a claim if it wasn't true?" she adds of her reaction.
Oprah is standing by the interview -- revealing the show did a lot of research about the scandal to make sure it was true.
John and Genevieve's son, Tamerlane Phillips, did not say if he believes the actress' claims or not, but noted his family's troubled history.
"My family is and always will be a decrepit bowl of dog urine compared to Nityananda of Ganeshpuri," Tamerlane told the New York Post. "That is how great Nityananda is." The Indian yogi died in 1961. "Worship Nityananda, not the Phillips family. Nityananda can protect you," he said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Taylor Swift Stays True to Her ?No Dating' Policy
- Virgin Galactic Crash: The Stars Who've Signed Up to Go Into Space
- Melanie Griffith: It Will Be ?Too Awkward' to See Daughter in ?50 Shades of Grey'
- Lea Michele Strips Down to Her Little Red Riding Hood Bustier to Show Off Her Teeny Waistline: See Her Sexy Halloween Costume
- Maria Menounos Dressed Up as Kelly Kapowski for Halloween, Winning Our Vote for Best Throwback Costume
- Courteney Cox Masters Creepy Annabelle Doll Costume With Fiance Johnny McDaid -- See the Scary Pics!