Jackson Tapes Reveal Inner Turmoil
The conversations, which occurred nine years ago, paint a picture of a troubled man. He described the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, Joe Jackson, telling Boteach that his youngest performances with the Jackson Five were marred by his father's attention. "You'd look in the audience and he'd make a face like this," Jackson said. "You'd go, 'Oh, I can't mess up, he's gonna kill us.' It would just scare the bejesus out of you."
The punishment for messing up, as Jackson recalled, was being stripped naked and doused with oil before being whipped with a cord. "He was rough," Jackson said. "The way he would beat us was rough. There was nothing I could do. I hated him for it."
Tom Zimberoff, Getty Images
Time & Life Pictures / Getty Images
Ron Galella, WireImage
FOX / AP
Steve Allen, Liaison / Getty Images
Rusty Kennedy, AP
AFP / Getty Images
Chris Pizzello, AP
OK! Magazine / AP
Jackson also told Boteach that he felt that his childhood was lost to a music career that was more time-consuming than he wanted. "I wanted so badly to play in the park across the street because the kids were playing baseball and football but I had to record," Jackson said. "I could see the park, right across the street. But I had to go in the other building and work until late at night making the albums.
"I sat there looking at the kids with tears running down my face and I would say, "I am trapped and I have to do this for the rest of my life. I am under contract."
One of Jackson's more questionable revelations was his opinion of Nazi party leader Adolf Hiltler. The King of Pop told Rabbi Boteach that he considered Hitler a "genius orator" and said no one is purely evil, insisting he could have helped Hitler "by touching something inside of him."
Jackson described himself as a lonely man, isolated by his fame, and explained some of his bizarre habits to Boteach. "There was Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, an aloof superstar who had everything and needed no one," he said. "And Michael Jackson, the shy kid under the mask, who lacked even a single real friend. I knew that something was wrong with me at that time. But I needed someone... That's probably why I had the mannequins."
"I would say because I felt I needed people... I was too shy to be around real people. I didn't talk to them."
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chelsea Lately finale: Naked Chelsea Handler showers with Ellen DeGeneres
- Natalie Wood's sister claims to know actress' killer
- Neil Young files for divorce after almost 37 years of marriage
- Is There a 'Full House' Reboot in the Works? What We Know So Far
- Chelsea Handler Strips for Epic Finale Shower Scene! See Who Joined Her
- Pamela Anderson Changes Her Mind About Divorcing Rick Salomon
- Rachel Bilson Goes Camping With Hayden Christensen for Her 33rd Birthday: New Bump Pictures
- 50 Cent Surprises Chelsea Handler During Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, Mary McCormack Intervention
- Andrew Garfield Has Full-On Mountain Man Beard in Venice, Still Looks Hot