Victim Forgave Polanski, But Not Media
Samantha Geimer, who was 13 years old when Polanski raped her at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977, recently filed a formal request asking Los Angeles prosecutors to drop charges against Polanski. In January, at the time the request was filed, Geimer, now 45, said: "I have survived, indeed prevailed, against whatever harm Mr. Polanski may have caused me as a child. I got over it a long time ago," according to the NY Daily News.
Geimer publicly forgave Polanski in 1997. She was hoping if the case and incident was put to rest, the details of it that continually ran with each Polanski headline would cease.
"True as they may be, the continued publication of those details causes harm to me, my beloved husband, my three children and my mother," Geimer said.
In 1977, Polanski lured the 13-year-old aspiring model Geimer into Nicholson's home for a photo shoot, where he gave her champagne and prescription drugs. Despite her requests to be taken home, Polanski then took nude photos of her in a hot tub and had sex with her. He later pleaded guilty to having sex with a minor.
"What happened that night, it's hard to believe, but it paled in comparison to what happened to me in the next year of my life," Geimer said recently.
She later told PEOPLE magazine in 1997 that Polanski "did something really gross to me, but it was the media that ruined my life."
Monroe County Sheriff's Office / AP
Kirsty Wigglesworth, AP
Gabriel Bouys, AFP / Getty Images
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images
Joe Kohen, WireImage
Soul Brother, FilmMagic
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- 'Death of Wolverine' Writer Signs Exclusive Contract with Marvel
- Paramount Shake-Up: Marketing Chief Josh Greenstein Exiting, Megan Colligan Promoted
- David Simon's HBO Miniseries Adds Quartet
- A Remastered, HD Version of 'The Wire' Is Coming to HBO... Eventually
- Robin Williams's Daughter Zelda Returns to Twitter With Anti-Bullying Message
- The 'Escape From New York' Reboot May Feature Charlie Hunnam in an Eye Patch