Victim Forgave Polanski, But Not Media
Samantha Geimer, who was 13 years old when Polanski raped her at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977, recently filed a formal request asking Los Angeles prosecutors to drop charges against Polanski. In January, at the time the request was filed, Geimer, now 45, said: "I have survived, indeed prevailed, against whatever harm Mr. Polanski may have caused me as a child. I got over it a long time ago," according to the NY Daily News.
Geimer publicly forgave Polanski in 1997. She was hoping if the case and incident was put to rest, the details of it that continually ran with each Polanski headline would cease.
"True as they may be, the continued publication of those details causes harm to me, my beloved husband, my three children and my mother," Geimer said.
In 1977, Polanski lured the 13-year-old aspiring model Geimer into Nicholson's home for a photo shoot, where he gave her champagne and prescription drugs. Despite her requests to be taken home, Polanski then took nude photos of her in a hot tub and had sex with her. He later pleaded guilty to having sex with a minor.
"What happened that night, it's hard to believe, but it paled in comparison to what happened to me in the next year of my life," Geimer said recently.
She later told PEOPLE magazine in 1997 that Polanski "did something really gross to me, but it was the media that ruined my life."
Monroe County Sheriff's Office / AP
Kirsty Wigglesworth, AP
Gabriel Bouys, AFP / Getty Images
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images
Joe Kohen, WireImage
Soul Brother, FilmMagic
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- '24' Team Plots Presidential Drama at Fox
- Orphan Films Series Highlights Rarely Seen Work About Pioneering Women and N.Y.
- 'Showrunners' Duo Detail the Doc's Impossible and Amazing Race to the Finish (Guest Column)
- 'Grimm' Star Bitsie Tulloch Thinks These 5 Supernatural TV Dramas Are Totally Worth Watching
- 'Nightcrawler' Review: One of the Best Movies of the Year
- The 31 Best Action Movies on Netflix Right Now