Is John Travolta Leaving Scientology?
Because autism is often treated with the types of mood-stabilizing drugs that Scientology opposes, Jett is believed to have gone without appropriate treatment for years because of the church's teachings.
Back in July, the 55-year-old actor denied reports claiming he was abandoning Scientology following the death of his son Jett (via PEOPLE.) But now, he's keeping quiet and refuses to comment on his relationship with the church.
Tory Christman, an outspoken Scientology critic who left after more than 30 years in the organization told The Daily Beast that Travolta's admittance of Jett having autism was a sure sign he'd be leaving the church.
"My hope for him is that he starts looking" at what really happened, she said. "He'll reach the right decision... I just don't want him to be used by the church. It's horrible he lost his son but change something. He's a guy who could really make a difference."
Christman, who is epileptic, said the institution has little tolerance for chronic conditions and pushed her to stop her medication and use vitamins and supplements instead. The first time she cut back on her medications, she had a grand mal seizure in her bathroom and knocked out her front teeth. She says she resumed her medication but tried to stop again in the face of continued objections from the church-- and again faced disastrous results.
Tommy Davis, a spokesman for Scientology, denounced former Scientologists who are critical of the church as "liars," adding, "It's a horrific, horrific thing for these people to take the tragic death of a young boy and try to turn it on his parents' religion."
"This religion is utterly and completely about helping. It's just insane to think that Scientology would be a factor in somebody not getting all the help they need," Davis added.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ricky Skaggs supportive of gay country singers coming out
- Ex-model says Cosby hid behind image of Cliff Huxtable
- 'Today' show looking to bounce back after tough week
- Steve McQueen's Female-Centric 'Widows' Is "His Own Version of a Gangster Film"
- See John Oliver Mock Presidential Turkey Pardons
- HBO Prepping Bombshell Scientology Film From Oscar Winner (Exclusive)
- Waka Flocka Flame shills throat drops because he's Waka Flocka Flame
- ?Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Cameron Diaz crashes the boys club
- Sting to star in the Broadway musical he wrote
- ?Box Office: Why Did 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Have the Weakest Opening of the Franchise?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 7 Recap: You're Not Holding it Right
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot