Is John Travolta Leaving Scientology?
Because autism is often treated with the types of mood-stabilizing drugs that Scientology opposes, Jett is believed to have gone without appropriate treatment for years because of the church's teachings.
Back in July, the 55-year-old actor denied reports claiming he was abandoning Scientology following the death of his son Jett (via PEOPLE.) But now, he's keeping quiet and refuses to comment on his relationship with the church.
Tory Christman, an outspoken Scientology critic who left after more than 30 years in the organization told The Daily Beast that Travolta's admittance of Jett having autism was a sure sign he'd be leaving the church.
"My hope for him is that he starts looking" at what really happened, she said. "He'll reach the right decision... I just don't want him to be used by the church. It's horrible he lost his son but change something. He's a guy who could really make a difference."
Christman, who is epileptic, said the institution has little tolerance for chronic conditions and pushed her to stop her medication and use vitamins and supplements instead. The first time she cut back on her medications, she had a grand mal seizure in her bathroom and knocked out her front teeth. She says she resumed her medication but tried to stop again in the face of continued objections from the church-- and again faced disastrous results.
Tommy Davis, a spokesman for Scientology, denounced former Scientologists who are critical of the church as "liars," adding, "It's a horrific, horrific thing for these people to take the tragic death of a young boy and try to turn it on his parents' religion."
"This religion is utterly and completely about helping. It's just insane to think that Scientology would be a factor in somebody not getting all the help they need," Davis added.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Indie rock band Ex Cops calls out McDonalds for not paying bands at SXSW showcase
- Susan Sarandon reportedly splits from boy toy
- 'Wheel of Fortune' contestant botches 'Snow White' character's name
- Martha Plimpton to Star in ABC's Dan Savage Comedy
- Fox Looks to Newcomer to Star Alongside Eric McCormack in 'Studio City'
- Samantha Bee Exits 'Daily Show' to Host TBS Series
- Slyvester Stallone to Produce 'The Expendables' Event Series for Fox
- #TBT: Maggie Smith Through the Years
- Jennifer Lawrence and Steven Spielberg Team for War Photographer Biopic