Swayze Recounts Lowest Days in Memoir
His struggle with drink had long been a strain on his wife of 34 years, Lisa Niemi. In the book, he recounts a 10-year period spent drinking "copious amounts of alcohol" and later a 1993 incident where he kept passing out while shooting 'Father Hood.' Through it all, he and Lisa butted heads.
Around ten years later, Swayze, saddled with doubt about his career, sank into a deep depression. "I started drinking again," he writes.
"I found levels of bottom that I didn't even know existed, but, for Lisa, this was too much. She packed up a couple of suitcases and took off one morning before I woke up."
According to EW, Niemi moved to an apartment 20 minutes away from their ranch and stayed there a full year. They spoke every day, but didn't officially reunite until 2004, while he was filming 'King Solomon's Mines.' Still, it wasn't until three years later after they consulted a psychic (for his birthday) that they fully reignited their love for each other.
Frank Edwards, Getty Images
Frazer Harrison, Getty Images
Ethan Miller, Getty Images
Artisan Entertainment / Everett Collection
AP / FilmMagic
Ron Tom, ABC / AP
A few months later, in January 2008, the 'Dirty Dancing' star was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
In the audiotapes for the book, Swayze himself describes the moment he received the diagnosis. [Hear a snippet at Access Hollywood.]
"When my doctors at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles said the words 'pancreatic cancer', a single thought popped into my head: 'I'm a dead man.'"
He continues: "Now, a lot of things go through your head when you get a death sentence handed to you, starting with, 'Why me?' It's hard not to sink into bitterness. For me, that initial shock quickly turned into self-criticism and blame."
Also in the book, Swayze reveals that his mom actually found out he had cancer from a National Enquirer reporter. He decided to keep the news from her because she had just received eye surgery and doctors warned her not to cry.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 2 of Glen Campbell's children fighting wife for control of medical, financial decisions
- Chris Brown's girlfriend Karrueche Tran dumps him after learning he's a dad
- Bruce Jenner told daughters about transition in front of cameras, report says
- Alec Baldwin Says Brian Williams Exaggerated Iraq Experience to Appeal to "Pro-Military, Conservative" Audience
- Ray Winstone to Star in ABC Biblical Drama 'Of Kings and Prophets'
- Bernardo Bertolucci Cancels Mexico Festival Visit Due to Health Concerns
- Luke Evans Cast as Gaston in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Instagram on Location: The Best of Hugh Jackman
- Ian McKellen Has One Last Mystery to Solve in 'Mr. Holmes' Trailer