Whoopi: Roman Polanski Didn't Commit 'Rape-Rape'
By Soraya Roberts Posted Sep 30th 2009 12:00PM
Goldberg was responding to the director's arrest in Switzerland on Saturday for a 30-year-old rape conviction. Polanski is facing extradition to the US after having fled the country in 1978 following his conviction, which involved a 13-year-old model.
On a recent episode of her talk show, 'The View,' Goldberg said she believed the incident that took place at Jack Nicholson's house in 1977 was misrepresented.
"It was something else but I don't believe it was rape-rape," she said. "We're a different kind of society, we see things differently. Would I want my 14 year old having sex? Not necessarily, no."
Goldberg's co-host, Sherri Shepherd, tweeted her disagreement by supporting victim Samantha Geimer, formerly Gailey.
"Whew... long day at The View... two shows today... hot debate over the Statutory Rapist Polanski. 45 year old man plies a 13yr old w/drugs and Liquor and penetrates her w/o her consent is a RAPIST," Shepherd tweeted. "We hunt down 75 year old Nazis. We must protect our children."
Several Hollywood stars have taken a page from Goldberg's book and come out to support Polanski. Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen are among a group of celebrities who have signed a petition objecting to the director's arrest. Over 100 people – including Tilda Swinton, David Lynch and Terry Gilliam - have signed the document that calls for 76-year-old's release from the Swiss jail where he is currently being held.
France's Society of Dramatic Authors and Composers, which supports the petitioners, released the following statement: "The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance... opens the way for actions of which no one can know the effects. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him."
Polanski's lawyers have petitioned for the Swiss courts to release the director from custody and protect him from US extradition. They want Polanski - who lives in Paris and holds dual Polish and French citizenship - to either be able to post bail or be put under house arrest at his Swiss chalet.
Polanski pled guilty in 1977 to the charge of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. The 44-year-old had been taking photographs of Samantha Geimer, then 13, for French Vogue when he gave her champagne and a sedative. Despite her protests, Polanski allegedly proceeded to perform oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on the young girl.
Geimer recently told the world that she has forgiven Polanski for his actions, but not the press for scandalizing the case.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce Shares Adorable Family Photo With Blue, Jay Z Amidst Rumors of Marriage Problems: Picture
- Zac Efron Spotted Leaving Michelle Rodriguez's House Morning After Wild Night Out: Picture
- Jada Pinkett Smith Raises Awareness About Sexual Assault After Niece is Given Date-Rape Drug
- Jessica Simpson Doesn’t Want Any More Kids
- Dwayne Johnson Teases ‘Shazam’ Role
- Why Kendall Jenner Is Quitting ‘KUWTK’
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Tears, argument and an ultrasound at 'Men Tell All'
- Emma Stone Annoyed Colin Firth by Live-Texting Him the Entire Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason Plot
- Husband Makes Spreadsheet of Wife's Excuses for Not Having Sex; Wife Posts Rejection Log to Reddit
- Prince George Is 1! The Birthday Boy's Biggest Moments So Far—See the Pics!