Will Letterman's Sex Affairs Hurt Him?
"He's always been open with his audience -- the stalker, the speeding tickets, the heart surgery, the threats to his son -- and this just continues that pattern. In many ways, it's a well-played pre-emptive strike on his part to get ahead of news that was bound to come out," Robson says.
In a PopEater poll in the initial news story about the breaking scandal, nearly three-quarters of more than 80,000 voters thought that Letterman was in no danger of losing his job because of the affairs.
"I think David Letterman will be fine," Showbiz 411 columnist Roger Friedman tells PopEater. "His personal life has always been an enigma. He is not watched for a warm and fuzzy style. He hasn't had the tag of family man in the past."
There have certainly been scandals, breakups and other personal issues for late night hosts in the past, but Letterman's admission breaks new ground when it comes to one of the most prominent hosts on TV confessing to infidelity. Still, some think Letterman's poise and attitude will make its passing even easier.
"There are other TV personalities who'd be harmed by this sort of thing. Not Dave. In six months there will be some reference to it on a top 10 list and everyone will chuckle," Friedman says.
Robson agrees, telling PopEater that Letterman has "seen other public figures brought down by scandals in the past, and sometimes that's as much because of the way they handle it as for the scandals themselves. No question he's learned from watching."
Matthew Greenberg, a television columnist for TrueSlant.com, says he "can't imagine he'll [Letterman] have much of anything to say about it on the air" in the near future, as it's an ongoing legal case. He doesn't see the scandal having much sticking power either, saying tube-addicted Americans will "find something else more sordid to obsess over."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Spice Girls Reunite for David Beckham's 40th Birthday Party: Photos
- Kourtney Kardashian Refuses to Let Scott Disick Home in KUWTK Clip: Watch!
- Vanessa Lachey: Camden Is an "Amazing" Older Brother to Little Sister Brooklyn
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' scores big at box office
- Jamie Foxx criticized for his version of national anthem
- Princess Diana's pal says she would have loved a granddaughter
- Ireland Baldwin Leaves Treatment Center, Dyes Her Hair—Get Details and See Photos of Her New Look
- Kourtney Kardashian, Scott Disick & Kids Have Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight Night Pajama Party—See Pics!
- Duck Commander Musical Based on Duck Dynasty Family to Close After 1 Month—Get Details and Watch a Video