Will Letterman's Sex Affairs Hurt Him?
"He's always been open with his audience -- the stalker, the speeding tickets, the heart surgery, the threats to his son -- and this just continues that pattern. In many ways, it's a well-played pre-emptive strike on his part to get ahead of news that was bound to come out," Robson says.
In a PopEater poll in the initial news story about the breaking scandal, nearly three-quarters of more than 80,000 voters thought that Letterman was in no danger of losing his job because of the affairs.
"I think David Letterman will be fine," Showbiz 411 columnist Roger Friedman tells PopEater. "His personal life has always been an enigma. He is not watched for a warm and fuzzy style. He hasn't had the tag of family man in the past."
There have certainly been scandals, breakups and other personal issues for late night hosts in the past, but Letterman's admission breaks new ground when it comes to one of the most prominent hosts on TV confessing to infidelity. Still, some think Letterman's poise and attitude will make its passing even easier.
"There are other TV personalities who'd be harmed by this sort of thing. Not Dave. In six months there will be some reference to it on a top 10 list and everyone will chuckle," Friedman says.
Robson agrees, telling PopEater that Letterman has "seen other public figures brought down by scandals in the past, and sometimes that's as much because of the way they handle it as for the scandals themselves. No question he's learned from watching."
Matthew Greenberg, a television columnist for TrueSlant.com, says he "can't imagine he'll [Letterman] have much of anything to say about it on the air" in the near future, as it's an ongoing legal case. He doesn't see the scandal having much sticking power either, saying tube-addicted Americans will "find something else more sordid to obsess over."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jamie Lynn Spears Posts Amazing Throwback Christmas Photo With Britney Spears
- Kim Kardashian Posts Photo of Her Messy Closet With North West
- Margaret Cho Split: Actress, Comedienne Divorcing Husband Al Ridenour After 11 Years
- David Schwimmer is set to play Robert Kardashian in new show
- Madonna gives her fans an "early Christmas gift"
- Report: Sony music bigwigs 'freaking out' their hefty salaries will be revealed
- TMI Alert?! Snooki Reveals Intimate Details About Her Sex Life With Husband Jionni LaValle
- Khloé Kardashian Slams Reports That She Kicked Rob Kardashian Out of Her House: "I Would Never"
- Kim Kardashian's Closet Is Way Messier Than We First Imagined, but Still North West Approved