Will Letterman's Sex Affairs Hurt Him?
"He's always been open with his audience -- the stalker, the speeding tickets, the heart surgery, the threats to his son -- and this just continues that pattern. In many ways, it's a well-played pre-emptive strike on his part to get ahead of news that was bound to come out," Robson says.
In a PopEater poll in the initial news story about the breaking scandal, nearly three-quarters of more than 80,000 voters thought that Letterman was in no danger of losing his job because of the affairs.
"I think David Letterman will be fine," Showbiz 411 columnist Roger Friedman tells PopEater. "His personal life has always been an enigma. He is not watched for a warm and fuzzy style. He hasn't had the tag of family man in the past."
There have certainly been scandals, breakups and other personal issues for late night hosts in the past, but Letterman's admission breaks new ground when it comes to one of the most prominent hosts on TV confessing to infidelity. Still, some think Letterman's poise and attitude will make its passing even easier.
"There are other TV personalities who'd be harmed by this sort of thing. Not Dave. In six months there will be some reference to it on a top 10 list and everyone will chuckle," Friedman says.
Robson agrees, telling PopEater that Letterman has "seen other public figures brought down by scandals in the past, and sometimes that's as much because of the way they handle it as for the scandals themselves. No question he's learned from watching."
Matthew Greenberg, a television columnist for TrueSlant.com, says he "can't imagine he'll [Letterman] have much of anything to say about it on the air" in the near future, as it's an ongoing legal case. He doesn't see the scandal having much sticking power either, saying tube-addicted Americans will "find something else more sordid to obsess over."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- Utah guards face career-ending penalties over bikini photo shoot
- John Denver receives posthumous star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!