Hotel Sting Operation Brought Down Letterman Extortion Plot
Letterman says he found a package of embarrassing e-mails and photos in his limousine. A note written by Halderman said he needed "to make a large chunk of money" by selling Letterman a screenplay treatment. "His actions reflect desperation that is alarming and dangerous," prosecutor Judy Salwen said during Friday's hearing.
The letter told Letterman that his world was "about to collapse around him" when information about his private life is disclosed. He said it would lead to "a ruined reputation" and severe damage to his professional and family life.
"Our concern here is extortion, and that's what we're focusing on," Morgenthau said.
Letterman immediately contacted his lawyer, who arranged a meeting with Halderman. At the meeting, Halderman demanded $2 million for not releasing the material, the district attorney's office said. After the meeting, Letterman and his lawyer contacted the DA's office and the investigation began.
Letterman was candid about the threats he'd received in comments he made on Thursday's taping of his 'Late Show.' Watch >>>
"In the back seat of my car, there's a package that I don't recognize. What this is is a guy is going to write a screenplay about me and he's going to take all the terrible stuff that he knows about my life and he's going to put it into a movie unless I give him some money," Letterman explained to the audience.
"Now of course we get to what is it. What was all the creepy stuff that he was going to put into the screenplay and the movie, and the creepy stuff that I had ... sex with women who work for me on the show. Now, my response to that is yes, I have," he continued.
CBS said Halderman has been suspended from his job at the true-crime show '48 Hours.'
RadarOnline.com was the first to report that Halderman was a suspect.
As part of the case, Letterman said in a release that he testified before a grand jury and acknowledged sexual relationships with members of his staff.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce, Jennifer Garner Fight to "Ban Bossy": "I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss" -- Watch the Video Here!
- Elisabeth Moss Calls Fred Armisen Marriage "Extremely Traumatic," Mad Men Star Goes Topless for New York Magazine
- The Bachelor: The Top 5 Biggest, Baddest Splits Ever
- Jennifer Aniston: I’d Like To Have Gisele’s Body
- Oscar Pistorius Murder Trial: Accused Murderer Vomits During Stirring Testimony Regarding Girlfriend’s Injuries
- Justin Bieber struggles with vocabulary, curses at court reporter during deposition
- '19 Kids and Counting' stars: We won't kiss until marriage
- ?True Detective' finale crashes HBO GO