With Mackenzie Phillips, When Is It Too Much Information?
By Jo Piazza Posted Oct 4th 2009 07:00PM
Mackenzie Phillips just keeps going and going and going ...
It's been almost two weeks since Mackenzie Phillips dropped the bombshell that she carried on a ten-year incestuous affair with her father John Phillips. In the past ten days, there have been plenty of emotions from the public, starting with shock and horror followed by a voracious need for more details. We also watched as members of the Phillips clan -- Chynna, Bijou and Michelle -- tried to piece together their own admittedly-hazy memories of their family history.
Now we're just exhausted. We've watched Mackenzie on Oprah, on Extra, on Larry King and on the Today Show...twice. We even bought the book she has been touting, 'High On Arrival,' just in case we had missed anything. Does anyone else feel exhausted watching her retell such painful stories at such a high frequency? Expert Opinion After the Jump >>>
Scenes From the Mackenzie Phillips Book Tour
"It is amazing that she keeps going. If she were my client, I would have advised her do no more than two key interviews with tremendous reach such as the one she did on Today Show," advised Rebecca Brooks, president of The Brooks Group PR.
"When she started (her tour) viewers/readers were stunned and felt for her, but by continuing, she looks like she has alternative motives and the over-saturation will lead to irritation and ultimately people will tune her out and not care."
And yet Phillips shows no signs of slowing down. She chatted with Mario Lopez on Extra Thursday night and even said she was still shocked and confused that people had such strong reactions to her story. "I didn't expect this firestorm," Mackenzie said with a straight face. She said the same thing to USA Today.
AOL StyleList contributing editor and longtime gossip columnist Ben Widdicombe says, '"Come off it Mackenzie."
"She was naive to think she could drop a bombshell like this and not set off shockwaves. She had to know what she was doing," Widdicombe tells PopEater.
Whether or not she knew was a maelstrom this would cause is irrelevant now because, Mackenzie is selling mad copies of her book. This week, 'High on Arrival,' was number 14 on the USA Today bestselling books list. Will she do more publicity in hopes of nitting No. 1?
"These things have cycles. And Mackenzie did a publicity blitz when her book came out. And we reeled from that," explains Rachel Sklar, editor-at-large for Mediaite.com to PopEater. "And then we heard from her sisters, and we reeled from that. And then the talking heads and bloggers chewed it over, and we all reeled together and that's how a story makes its way through the public consciousness. At some point, you have to just shut up and read. In the meantime - there's David Letterman!"
Shocking Celebrity Tell-Alls
Mackenzie Phillips reveals details of a sexual relationship with her late father, Mamas and Papas singer John Phillips, in her 'High on Arrival.' See More Scandalous Reveals From Stars >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jennifer Aniston Wasn't Mad About Friends Reunion, That's Acting
- Karina Smirnoff: I Don't Know If It's Ethical that Julianne Hough Is a DWTS Judge
- Kim Kardashian Says North West Likes to Brush Her Own Hair, Kourtney and Khloe Talk Embarrassing Hairstyles
- Tony Stewart Speaks Out On Killing Fellow NASCAR Driver Kevin Ward Jr. —‘It Will Affect My Life Forever’
- Ashlee Simpson And Evan Ross Getting Ready To Marry Over Labor Day Weekend In Greenwich, Connecticut
- Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious,' daughter says
- Political correctness in Hollywood running amok?
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Happy Birthday, Michael Jackson: Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, Paris Hilton and More Remember Late King of Pop
- Ellen Barkin, 60, Looks Fabulous in Unretouched Violet Files Photo Shoot—See the Pics!
- Vote for the Biggest Total Divas Moment in the Final Four: Daniel Bryan Beats John Cena, Eva Marie's Secret and More!