Kate Says Jon Bled Their Bank Account: 'I Have a Stack of Bills'
Jon Gosselin has teed up a major court battle with his soon-to-be ex-wife following his unauthorized withdrawal of thousands of dollars from the duo's money market account, RadarOnline.com reported on Sunday. According to reports, he only left around $1,000 in the account. Kate Gosselin was on the 'Today' show on Monday and put the figure at $230,000.
"When you've left your children and their mother unable to pay for the roof over their heads, it's not acceptable," she said. Kate told Meredith Vieira that this wasn't the first time Jon took money out without asking. "He had done it a few days before I filed for divorce," she said. "He didn't empty it completely, but it was enough that I was afraid."
Kate predicted this would happen, so she earlier put $100,000 of the account aside -- to "keep it safe" and to "buy my kids food if needed." But she put it back because the couple's separation agreement forbids either of them from withdrawing without the authorization of the other.
"I have a stack of bills in my purse that I can't drop in the mail," Kate said in the emotional interview.
She has hired lawyer Marty Singer to go after Jon and to possibly hold him in contempt for defying an existing order prohibiting such bank withdrawals. Singer has also singled out Jon's lawyer, Mark Heller, who last week said he wanted to "become friends" with Kate in order to smooth the divorce proceedings.
Singer tells Radar, "If the money is not immediately returned, we will be looking into potential claims against Mr. Heller if he had any involvement with the violation of the court order.
"It is very disappointing that Jon Gosselin has escalated this to such an ugly place that her lawyers have to do everything they can to protect her and her children from his outrageous actions."
TMZ obtained a letter written by Singer addressed to Heller that calls the withdrawal "outrageous" and singles out Heller as having a financial motive. The letter accuses Heller of directing one of his other divorce clients to "withdraw everything that's in the bank" so the money could pay his fee.
Singer expects Kate's family law attorney in Pennsylvania will go to court Monday morning to demand the money returned.
He tells PEOPLE that Kate learned about the withdrawal after receiving overdraft notices. She apparently pays household bills with that account.
This latest scandal was just the cherry on top of a chaotic week for the couple. Their TLC series changed its name from 'Jon and Kate Plus 8' to 'Kate Plus 8,' then had its production halted after Jon filed a cease and desist order.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Duggar Fans Create Counter-Petition to Save TLC Show; Watch Jimmy Kimmel's Latest Mean Tweets Segment: Top 5 Stories
- Jessica Hall Pregnant! Kendra Wilkinson's BFF Expecting First Child With Husband Kyle Carlson
- Armie Hammer's Wife Elizabeth Chambers Celebrates Baby Shower: Photos, Details
- Could Adam Lanza Have Been Stopped? Sandy Hook Report Cites Missed Chances To Avoid School Massacre, Cites ?Parental Denial'
- Bill Cosby's Florida standup performance greeted with standing ovation
- Three Bill Cosby stand-up performances canceled
- Polish town bans Winnie the Pooh mascot from playground for being hermaphrodite
- Katherine Heigl Gets Real About the Rude-Girl Rumors, Reveals How She Used John Mayer to Get Her Future Hubby to Commit
- Charlie Day on the Most Difficult Part About Being Groped by Jennifer Aniston: ''It's Fiction!''
- How to Get Away With Murder Boss Spills Scoop: Who Killed Lila? Where Does Wes Go From Here? What's Bonnie Up to? Find Out!