Kate Says Jon Bled Their Bank Account: 'I Have a Stack of Bills'
Jon Gosselin has teed up a major court battle with his soon-to-be ex-wife following his unauthorized withdrawal of thousands of dollars from the duo's money market account, RadarOnline.com reported on Sunday. According to reports, he only left around $1,000 in the account. Kate Gosselin was on the 'Today' show on Monday and put the figure at $230,000.
"When you've left your children and their mother unable to pay for the roof over their heads, it's not acceptable," she said. Kate told Meredith Vieira that this wasn't the first time Jon took money out without asking. "He had done it a few days before I filed for divorce," she said. "He didn't empty it completely, but it was enough that I was afraid."
Kate predicted this would happen, so she earlier put $100,000 of the account aside -- to "keep it safe" and to "buy my kids food if needed." But she put it back because the couple's separation agreement forbids either of them from withdrawing without the authorization of the other.
"I have a stack of bills in my purse that I can't drop in the mail," Kate said in the emotional interview.
She has hired lawyer Marty Singer to go after Jon and to possibly hold him in contempt for defying an existing order prohibiting such bank withdrawals. Singer has also singled out Jon's lawyer, Mark Heller, who last week said he wanted to "become friends" with Kate in order to smooth the divorce proceedings.
Singer tells Radar, "If the money is not immediately returned, we will be looking into potential claims against Mr. Heller if he had any involvement with the violation of the court order.
"It is very disappointing that Jon Gosselin has escalated this to such an ugly place that her lawyers have to do everything they can to protect her and her children from his outrageous actions."
TMZ obtained a letter written by Singer addressed to Heller that calls the withdrawal "outrageous" and singles out Heller as having a financial motive. The letter accuses Heller of directing one of his other divorce clients to "withdraw everything that's in the bank" so the money could pay his fee.
Singer expects Kate's family law attorney in Pennsylvania will go to court Monday morning to demand the money returned.
He tells PEOPLE that Kate learned about the withdrawal after receiving overdraft notices. She apparently pays household bills with that account.
This latest scandal was just the cherry on top of a chaotic week for the couple. Their TLC series changed its name from 'Jon and Kate Plus 8' to 'Kate Plus 8,' then had its production halted after Jon filed a cease and desist order.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner Feels Betrayed By Bruce Jenner; Brittany Maynard Pushes Back Death Date: Top 5 Stories
- Prince William, Pregnant Kate Middleton Go on Babymoon With Prince George in Scotland -- Details
- Khloe Kardashian Celebrates 14 Million Instagram Followers With a Super Sexy Booty Snap -- See the Pic!
- Inherited Or Injected? Khloe Kardashian & Kylie Jenner Flaunt Matching Trout Pouts As Nip Tuck Rumors Continue
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Orson Welles' final film may be released
- 'I Was Here': Beyonce song inspires Iraqi youth peace movement
- Julianne Hough Gets Emotional While Delivering a Special Message to Her Older Sister—Watch the Sweet Clip!
- Why Scandal, The Vampire Diaries, and How to Get Away with Murder Blew. Us. Away. Our Rants and Raves
- These Are Chelsea Handler's Naked Boobs on a Horse...