Lindsay Lohan Now Must Answer To Fashion's Mean Girls
By Jo Piazza Posted Oct 5th 2009 12:55PM
What Lindsay Lohan's Paris fashion debut with the design house Ungaro lacked in undergarments, fashion critics are making up for with scathing reviews for the starlet's design abilities. A "hot mess" declared the Los Angeles Times, "hearts but no soul," wrote Suzy Menkes in the New York Times, referring to the heart-shaped pasties Lohan used to cover up the model's nipples. Fashion bible Women's Wear Daily called the collection "an embarrassment," and said it "displayed none of the promised younger side Lohan was supposed to deliver."
What caused fashion's Mean Girls to unleash their hiss on Linds? From our vantage on the other side of the Atlantic and lacking a critical fashion eye, it was hard for us to see exactly what made the show such a disaster. So we asked our team of fashion experts to weigh in on what exactly went wrong for Lohan in Paris.
"The House of Ungaro made the wrong choice of the wrong celebrity at the wrong time and it delivered the wrong clothes," says style expert Mary Alice Stephenson. "It would have been great at Los Angeles fashion week but not Ungaro during Paris Fashion Week under the magnifying glass of the most important people in fashion. And maybe Lindsay would have been a good choice five years ago when she was still hot, but not now."
Bonnie Fuller, president of Hollywoodlife.com, explains to PopEater that there was simply no way LiLo could live up to the kind of expectations heaped on any designer in Paris.
"It's not easy for any designer even a very highly experienced designer to do a great collection period. The French and the top fashionistas don't take these collections lightly," Fuller says. "Having an ingénue like Lindsay Lohan who is an actress and the designer of a leggings collection inspire a collection like Emmanuel Ungaro is an affront to traditional members of the fashion industry so its not surprising that they would take this very seriously."
Sure the Paris fashionistas take themselves and their clothes very seriously but at the end of the day it boils down to the fact that Lohan's collection actually wasn't good.
Judging by her appearance at the end of Sunday's show, Lohan may have already known the reviews were coming. The actress appeared to be welling up as she walked the runway.
"The collection wasn't good from a fashion standpoint. It was bra tops and tight pants. It wasn't an impressive collection. It was immature. I mean she taped hearts to the models heads. It was campy to the point of ridiculous," New York magazine fashion blogger Amy Odell tells PopEater. "But at the end of the day maybe we will see some young girls start wearing some of these dresses. Hopefully, without the pasties." More of NYMag's Coverage of Ungaro >>>
Designed By Lindsay
PARIS, FRANCE - OCTOBER 04: Lindsay Lohan (R) and Estrella Archs walk the runway during the Emmanuel Ungaro Pret a Porter show as part of the Paris Womenswear Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2010 at Le Carrousel du Louvre on October 4, 2009 in Paris, France. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Lindsay Lohan;Estrella Archs
Getty Images Europe
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Hollywood's Favorite Thrillers: 19 Movies That Will Terrify You
- Christopher Nolan Refuses to Rule Out Return to Superhero Movies
- Talk Show Hosts Sport Hollywood-Inspired Halloween Costumes
- PopWatch Confessional: What's the scariest thing you saw as a kid (that wasn't supposed to scare you)?
- From pegacorns to Cheetos: The best celebrity Halloween costumes
- We're not worthy of the best Halloween costumes from ?Today,' ?GMA'
- Daniel Radcliffe Facts: 17 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Horns' Star
- Can Neil Patrick Harris Resurrect the Variety Show?
- Watch Sofia Coppola's Insanely Charming Holiday Gap Ads (VIDEO)