Birkitt Pens Letterman Affair in Her Diary
Birkitt's diary revealed that she and Letterman enjoyed romantic hikes last fall at his sprawling ranch in eastern Montana -- where he was married in March -- while her boyfriend Robert "Joe" Halderman stayed home in Connecticut, sources told The NY Post. While she tried to keep it a secret, Halderman eventually found Birkitt's diary in December and learned she was still carrying on a steamy affair with Letterman.
At the time, Birkitt, 34, insisted to Halderman that she and the 62-year-old Letterman had just "a platonic relationship," a source said. "I'm his best friend," Birkitt allegedly told her worried beau. Letterman would also drive Birkitt home to Norwalk, Conn., where she had been sharing a house with Halderman since he divorced his wife in 2004, sources said. The comedian lived with his longtime girlfriend and their son in Westchester.
Even after Birkitt graduated in June 2008, Letterman offered her a job as his personal lawyer. According to sources, Birkitt used the offer to persuade Halderman to have children with her, saying she would bring in the bucks with her new job and he could stay home. He and Birkitt had stayed together until last month, when they split up and his financial and emotional turmoil hit a breaking point.
In early September, prosecutors said Halderman allegedly began the extortion plot by dropping off, in Letterman's limousine, a purported screenplay outline about a talk-show host who is brought down by an affair, as well as copies of sections of Birkitt's diaries. Halderman was busted after collecting a bogus $2 million check from Letterman's lawyer last week, prosecutors said. He is free on $200,000 bond and left his home on Monday.
Then during last Thursday's show, Letterman revealed to his audience that he had sexual affairs with female staffers and allegedly had been the target of a related $2 million extortion plot by Halderman. The host made an additional apology to his wife on his Oct. 5 show. (Get the full story.) "She has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that, if you hurt a person and it's your responsibility, you try to fix it," Letterman told the crowd about wife Regina Lasko during his monologue.
Two 'Late Show' segments featuring Birkitt over the years:
"At that point, there's only two things that can happen: Either you're going to make some progress and get it fixed, or you're going to fall short and perhaps not get it fixed, so let me tell you folks, I got my work cut out for me," Letterman said.
Meanwhile Halderman's lawyer, Gerald Shargel, went on a media offensive. "David Letterman didn't give [Halderman's] side of the story. David Letterman gave what he wanted the public to know," Shargel told NBC's 'Today' show.
He also told Fox News' 'Geraldo at Large' that "there is a lot more to the story... There is a big issue about exactly who David Letterman was having an affair with... Someone did someone wrong other than my client," Shargel said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Khloe Kardashian Steps Out in Eye-Catching Ensemble, Mila Kunis Flashes Engagement Ring From Ashton Kutcher: Top Weekend Stories
- Jared Leto, Brother Shannon Leto Give Smoldering Stares in Bold, Printed Shirts: See the Sexy Picture
- Taylor Swift, Lorde Pal Around New York City: See the Goofy Picture
- Hollywood Murder-For-Hire Plot: Text Messages Reveal Skin Specialist To The Stars Bragged About Hiring Ex-NFL Star ?To Take Out' Nemesis, Lying To Cops
- '300' sequel tops box office with $45.1M debut
- Reality polygamy family says 'It's like coming out of the closet' doing the show
- Raunchy Johnny Carson sex tape reportedly being shopped around
- Once Upon a Time's Wicked-Awesome Debut, The Good Wife's Hot Hookup and More OMG TV Moments!
- Resurrection Debuts on ABC: Weigh in on the Series Premiere Now
- Dorothy Wang, Morgan Stewart and the Other #RichKids of Beverly Hills Get a Rude Awakening in NYC—See the Full Recap!