Madonna on Tuesday accepted damages from a British newspaper for publishing pictures of her wedding to Guy Ritchie that she said had been stolen from her home. The singer was not in court Tuesday but her lawyer confirmed that she had accepted "substantial" damages from Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Mail on Sunday.

The amount was not disclosed but her lawyer, John Kelly, told Justice Peter Smith that she would donate the money to her Raising Malawi charity. Madonna, who was divorced from Ritchie earlier this year, had sought damages in excess of 5 million pounds ($8 million).